Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Export Report via API returns JSON and not file data (ExportReportInGroup)

Hi All,

Posting this here in case anyone else has the same issue.
I have already raised this with Microsoft Support, but I am yet to get an answer. I will post any updates when I get them in case it helps someone else.

The Issue:
Using the Export Report In Group function as explained in the docs is returning a JSON object and not the file data as documented.
This is a change in behaviour that started this week .

As the documentation does not match what is being returned - I have no idea what is going on.
The service returns a status code of 200 (success) so it is not considered an error.

Anyone else seeing this? or is it just me?

Cheers,
Matt

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @MattCalderwood ,

As you already created support ticket to Microsoft, please contact owner to get help. It would be better if you could post the solution here which will benefit other members who have the same issue. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

MattCalderwood
Responsive Resident

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

Yes, the intention was to post the outcome and to put an entry into the issues log for others to find if they are having the same issue.

I will update as soon as there is more info.

Thanks,

Matt

_fmigg
Regular Visitor

January 2020, I have the same issue. Instead of getting the zipped file as the documentation says, I'm getting a JSON.

Did you solved it? 

MattCalderwood
Responsive Resident

Hi @_fmigg 

So sorry for the slow reply, I didn't get a notification for your message!
After much back/forth with support, it turned out that it was an issue with the API and an apparent pre-release version of the endpoint.

If I remember correctly... (and i am paraphrasing here) the intention at one point was to change the API into 2 parts so that the export can be 'requested' then downloaded once it is ready. This would then avoid long running http requests whilst the download is being prepared.

Importing large files already has this ability: api/power-bi/imports/createtemporaryuploadlocation 

When I hit this issue, it was by mistake and that development version of the endpoint shouldn't have been in use.
Support were eventually able to fix this for me, but it took time as all their internal testing was OK. It just so happened that the tenant that I was using was the only one affected.

You may be suffering from a different issue now - as I have been successfully using that endpoint for quite a while now (and very recently too) - but it may again be issolated to a single tenant/location.

Hope this is of some help, Apologies again for slow response.