Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Export Data option removed or missing from out-of-tenant shared dashboards

We leverage the out-of-tenant sharing feature of Power BI and it has always allowed users to click the 3 dots on a table or other visual and click "Export Data" to get to the underlying dataset.

Around the October update, this functionality is now gone.  We see similar forum questions but not specific to our scenario, so opening up a new issue here.

I have a hunch that the ability to Export Data was explicitly removed from dashboards that are shared out-of-tenant, but if this is simply a bug that can be fixed, I need to know.  Working around this issue will cost my company money to develop alternative ways to get to the underlying data so knowing if it's a bug or a "fix" is very important to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments
tobined

I have been having similar issues.  It would be great to be able to get the ability to extract data back.

Ed

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@CalebBlanton

There is already an existing issue reported for it: CRI 25415374.

We need to wait for the fix to be implemented. Based on the information I have now, the fix date may be on 12/28/2016.

Best Regards,

Herbert

CalebBlanton
Advocate II

Thanks for the info, Herbert - nothing worse than being in the dark on these things.

Question for you if you don't mind - you reference CRI 25415374 - what system is this in?  I cannot find that issue report in Power BI Forums, is this the Microsoft Support system?

Any links to the issue report would be greatly appreciated!

-C

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@CalebBlanton

It is an internal issue system and is not publicly accessible.

Best Regards,

Herbert

CalebBlanton
Advocate II

Gotcha, thanks again for the insider update Herbert.  I'll relay this to my team, this is good news.

-C

jayeckles
Advocate III

@CalebBlanton @v-haibl-msft Where can I learn about out-of-tenant sharing?  That sounds like an extremely useful feature for my org.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@jayeckles

You can take a look at this document.

Best Regards,

Herbert

CalebBlanton
Advocate II

@jayeckles A few things to note about out-of-tenant sharing (the link shared above also very informative about the feature):

• Available via the "Sharing" link on the Dsahboard for owners/admins of that dashboard (covered by link above)
  • The sharing interface detects domains in emails outside of your domain and warns when you are sharing outside of your domain.  This comes with some restrictions on access and can be revoked after granted like other shares.
  • You have the ability to allow/disallow people you share with to share the dashboard themselves with others.
  • One important note is when you share with them, they will need a Power BI account (Free or Pro depending on what features are used by your dashboard) associated with the email you shared to.
  • They will not see the shared dashboard in their Power BI home page where in-tenant users see dashboards shared with them by their coworkers.  This came at a bit of a surprise to me.  Rather, they need the link sent to them in email to see the dashboard.  Even once you're in the dashboard, you can't bookmark as it's not the "Share Link" due to a redirect that happens so you need to manually add the link to bookmarks or just go back to that email each time to open the shared dashboard.

-C

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@CalebBlanton

The fix should be available on about 1/11/2017. Please check it later.

Best Regards,

Herbert

CalebBlanton
Advocate II

Really appreciate you guys keeping me posted on this fix.  Hope y'all had a Happy New Year and let me know if the 1/11/2017 date moves.

-C