Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Export Data option removed or missing from out-of-tenant shared dashboards

We leverage the out-of-tenant sharing feature of Power BI and it has always allowed users to click the 3 dots on a table or other visual and click "Export Data" to get to the underlying dataset.

Around the October update, this functionality is now gone.  We see similar forum questions but not specific to our scenario, so opening up a new issue here.

I have a hunch that the ability to Export Data was explicitly removed from dashboards that are shared out-of-tenant, but if this is simply a bug that can be fixed, I need to know.  Working around this issue will cost my company money to develop alternative ways to get to the underlying data so knowing if it's a bug or a "fix" is very important to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments
CalebBlanton
Advocate II

We did some testing this morning and when we try to use the Export feature on an out-of-tenant shared dashboard, it greys out the background and hangs.  I noticed a Javascript error in the console and I'm including at the bottom of this post.

There is a difference here - we used to not see the 3 dots at all; now we see the 3 dots and we see the Export Data menu, but the feature is not working due to the error referenced below.

Let me know if there's a workaround or a planned fix for this and timelines help.  We have clients that have been impacted by this since last year and a lot of manual processes to hand-deliver this data when we would rather they just download online.

Thanks!

--- Javascript error log from console:

ai.0.js:1 PUT https://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net/powerbi/metadata/refreshusermetadata 400 (Bad Request)
XMLHttpRequest.send @ ai.0.js:1
(anonymous) @ angular.min.js:103
n @ angular.min.js:99
(anonymous) @ angular.min.js:96
(anonymous) @ angular.min.js:131
$eval @ angular.min.js:145
$digest @ angular.min.js:142
$apply @ angular.min.js:146
(anonymous) @ angular.min.js:159
e @ angular.min.js:45
(anonymous) @ angular.min.js:48

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@CalebBlanton

It seems that I can also repo the hang issue. And I notice that the fix deployment is delayed till 1/15. We can try again later.

Best Regards,

Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee

The fix should have been deployed now.

Best Regards,

Herbert

CalebBlanton
Advocate II

Herbert,

Thanks for the response.  I do see now that the popup for Export Data does render properly and allows me to move forward in the process.

However, there's an issue: When I try to export data - whether it's 20k records or 2k - I get the following error message:

Error Exporting Data

Sorry, we couldn't export your visual data right now.

Please try again later.

We do have a LOT of columns in this table (75+) but was never an issue before.

This error was received on a somewhat old out-of-tenant shared dashboard imported from an older version of PBI Desktop.  On my end, I will try to create a new report with the latest (Jan2017) version of PBI Desktop and see if I get the same error.

Meanwhile, can you reproduce the issue or have you heard reports about this issue?

Seems like this bug just won't die!

Thanks again,

Caleb Blanton

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@CalebBlanton

I just took a look at the issue status. It is reactive because of the issue you described above. The team are working on it now.

Best Regards,

Herbert

CalebBlanton
Advocate II

Herbert,

Quick update, I saved a new dashboard PBIX using the latest & greatest Jan 2017 Power BI desktop, then imported that into a an in-tenant account using Get Data, then shared with an out-of-tenant account and the same error appears whether I'm exporting the visual data or underlying data.

One thing I did notice - even when I was using the desktop version of PBI and I tried to export data, I got an error.  I sent a frown for this error with a timestamp of 2017-01-17T03:29:36.5516965Z and a snapshot trace filename of FrownSnapShot170734942.zip.  Hopefully this helps you find & cross-reference the error I received in PBI Desktop - it's for the same dashboard and my hunch is that there's a deeper issue with Export I'm running into.

If you or the team has trouble re-creating please let me know and I can provide more details or jump into a web meeting to show the issue happening.

Warm regards,

Caleb Blanton

CalebBlanton
Advocate II

One additional note:

When trying - and failing - to export in PBI Desktop I was on a machine that was not logged into Power BI.  

I just tried to export from a machine logged into PowerBI as my email address and sure enough, it worked.

However, it does not work on out-of-tenant shared dashboards which I would guess is similar to not being logged into the desktop version. 

Thought this info might also help you re-create.

-C

jarvis84
Regular Visitor
I'm still getting this issue, I can export via the desktop view but once published I cannot export via app.powerbi.com. The three dots are not appearing. I'm currently a free user but due to become a pro user soon. Please could you advise?
gcarlisle

Hi there.

I am having this issue on reports I have shared to users outside of my organization. On some charts they can download the underlying data set. However on tables they cannot even see the export ... function.

Any updates?

G

jarvis84
Regular Visitor
Just to say my issue was due to an administrative setting not an issue - all is working ok now