Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Existing report with cloud sources being required to register with gateway

I have an existing report that upon re-publish to the service, is now requiring registration of Dynamics and SharePoint online feeds in the gateway.  I tried toggling the "run cloud sources through gateway" without any changes.  I'm unable to use the scheduled refresh feature now which is a major issue.

Another user is having a similar issue.  See this thread: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Cloud-sources-being-forced-to-register-with-gateway/td-p/70...

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @bdunzweiler

Please go to Manage Gateways section, find the gateway, ensure below option is checked: 

q1.PNG

Then you can configure the dataset to use this gateway and specify the credential for OData and SharePoint data sources. 

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

bdunzweiler
Helper I

@v-qiuyu-msft  That suggestion didn't work.  I can't even select the gateway until I register the data sources in the gateway, which I'm unable to do because of the missing OAuth2 option.

powerbi_gateway_dataset_registration.png

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @bdunzweiler

Which on-premises data gateway version do you run? I tested with the on-premises data gateway version 3000.5.185 (May 2019(Release 2)), it's able to follow above steps in my previous post to configure gateway and specify credential. 

q1.PNGq2.PNG

I would suggest you update the on-premises data gateway version then test again follow this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-mashup-on-premises-cloud

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

bdunzweiler
Helper I

@v-qiuyu-msft  I updated the gateway on Friday as we were on an older version, but it didn't fix the issue either.  As I stated before with my screenshot, I can't edit credentials because it is requiring me to register those data sources first, which is the issue.  It's almost as if the service is treating the online SQL database as on-premises and then the mashup between the SQL and online Dynamics sources is causing everything to have to be run through the gateway.

bdunzweiler
Helper I

@v-qiuyu-msft  It seems my issue has changed a bit.  The gateway is grayed out now with the gateway selected (and it is green).  That was the primary hurdle.  I'm not sure if this is the result of upgrading the gateway or if something was recently fixed in the service.  However, I now get an error on the refresh "The connection string used for the mashup data source is invalid or the gateway needs to be upgraded to the latest version".  The gateway shouldn't be the issue because it is the same version you posted in your screenshot.

Annotation 2019-06-03 105011.png

bdunzweiler
Helper I

@v-qiuyu-msft Actually, scratch that prior post.  A subsequent publish of the same file reset it back to the status where it is saying the online sources needed to be registered in the gateway.  Grr...

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @bdunzweiler

Till now, it's hard to provide further help on forum side. I would suggest you create a support ticket to let engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

bdunzweiler
Helper I

@v-qiuyu-msft OK - I opened up a ticket.  Thanks for your assistance.