Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Excel not conntecting to BI Models

Hi, 

Some of my team members are receiving  the following error: "Can't access the dataset or the report  You can't access the dataset or report in PowerBI.  Make sure it exists and you have permissions to use it" when trying to use the Power BI publisher for Excel tool.  All of the people that are trying to accesss it have permissions to.  Any light that you could shed on this is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully 

Phil 

Comments
nelsong20
Advocate II

That's weird that 1711 is still failing. Maybe it wasn't build 1710 after all - perhaps something else happened during the last 24 hours. Difficult to say because I don't know how to tell when that 1710 build was applied, as I have automatic updates switched on (and I don't know how to tell when they've been applied).

There was a suggestion in another thread to update the adal.dll in MS Analysis Services see here: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Analyze-in-Excel-not-working-after-updating-Office-365-to-lat...

I tried updating adal.dll but it didn't seem to have worked for me. However, in thinking back through the past 24 hours, I did reboot my computer yesterday, which I might not have done after the adal.dll update (not sure).

Perhaps it was the adal.dll after all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just had this issue with one of my clients, and running excel as administrator seems to have solved it. That is, after installing the latest Analyze in Excel updates and Power BI Publisher for Excel. We have ran excel with elevated privilages once, then rebooted, and the error was gone after that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Grayincarnation's advice worked for me.  I ran Excel once as Administrator, and since then it has been fine.  It shouldn't have to be this way of course, but at least the workaround exists.  I hope it keeps working!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still experiencing this issue.  I even downloaded the new powerbi publisher for excel just now and it still doesnt work.  Is there any other solution?