Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Excel not conntecting to BI Models

Hi, 

Some of my team members are receiving  the following error: "Can't access the dataset or the report  You can't access the dataset or report in PowerBI.  Make sure it exists and you have permissions to use it" when trying to use the Power BI publisher for Excel tool.  All of the people that are trying to accesss it have permissions to.  Any light that you could shed on this is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully 

Phil 

Comments
gh_de
Frequent Visitor

Seems to work with the newest update available in the web interface ("Analyze in Excel Updates"). I needed to uninstall old OLE DB.

edhans
Super User

No good here. I still get the error that I cannot connect to the data. I tired the thing of removing the .7 after the connection string, and was rewarded with Excel crashing.

nelsong20
Advocate II

This is also failing in the same way for me and the fix is no good. I removed the .7 from the connection string as suggested. Now, every timeI try to insert a pivot table, it takes me AGAIN to the Azure login, and gives the following error: "The following system error occurred: (The operations completed successfully)."

But of course nothing actually completed.

Dear Microsoft .... this is becoming desparately urgent. We have a production system running that totally depends on several spreadsheets that must link to our data model in the PBI Service. Please do treat this as Urgent!

with regards, Garry

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix is also not working for our company.

Our operations are also highly depending on this function. Please fix it and/or let us know an ETA.

Thank you!

Best,

gh_de
Frequent Visitor

Hi there, 

in our company this worked:

• Uninstall "OLE DB Provider for Analysis Services" from Client system (don't leeav out, as newest Analyze in Excel Update doesn't bump version number und so does not update)
  • Install latest "Analyze in excel Update" available in Power BI Web Frontend
  • Make current User to Admin (Upgrade his account, don't user other Admin Account)
  • Start Excel as Admin (Startmenu, type "excel" to search it, right click, start as admin, use current account to open)
  • Use Power BI Web Frontend, go to Dataset, dots beside it, click "Analyze in Excel" and use the downloaded .odc file within Admin Excel Session
  • SAve File
  • You can downgrade user account again.
plaliberte
Frequent Visitor

What we ended up doing for the people that did not have the connection was to down grade them to Office 2013.  This fixed the connection problem.  Problem has to do with Office 2016 and Windows 8.  The version of excel in that combination must have been missed when they upgraded Power BI.  Hope this helps

edhans
Super User

It isn't a Windows 8 thing. We see it here on Windows 7 and 10. It must be an Office 2016 thing, and we are seeing it on the Insider build and the monthly Targeted build.

tommy_tooten
Regular Visitor

We had the same problem as well. However, after the latest updates (Excel is now at version 1710), I finally got it to work again. You might want to check if you have Excel updated to the latest version?

Kind regards,

Tommy

nelsong20
Advocate II

Thanks Tommy, I believe you are correct.

I went back to Excel this morning, it's now at build 1710. Don't know when this update was applied but must have been in the last day or so.

And the connection to PBI Service is now working!

Very happy!

edhans
Super User

Interesting. Build 1711 still has the failure.