Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Excel file published to service fails to refresh to Power BI Dataset

Trying to use the new Excel refresh feature announced in the May 2021 update.  Connected an Excel file to a Power BI dataset (tried both via Analyze in Excel and using the Excel Get Data menu).  Built a few pivot tables and charts, then published to the service (again, tried both using OneDrive and the direct Publish option from Excel).  When I go to use the Excel file in the service, I get the following error:

External Data Refresh Failed

We were unable to refresh one or more data connections in this workbook.  The following connections failed to refresh:

[Dataset Name]

I am using the same credentials in Excel desktop and the service, and the file refreshes fine in Excel desktop.   

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I have reported this issue internally, will update here once I get any information.

Regards,

Lin

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I also have a test that, after upload this excel to onedrive, then open the excel file will reproduce the same error, and then I reported it to PG too.

I get this from pg:

According to Power BI connected PivotTables in Excel for the web - Microsoft Tech Community, this feature is being rolled out, so it will not be available immediately for all customers. Office / Excel Online is the correct team to ask question about availability. This is an Office feature, not Power BI feature.

Regards,

Lin