Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Excel data model refresh corrupting the data model

I refresh a number of excel data models using the power bi service. 

As of this week, after the refresh, the model is broken. The result is the workbook crashes (completely closes excel without any error message) when I either try open power pivot or try to open power query on a workbook that has been refreshed via the service. 

we got feedback from PG team that ”Fix deployed“.

Comments
Leione
Frequent Visitor

The same thing happened to me after June 3

rjhale
Helper IV

I was just about to open a ticket with Microsoft when I saw this post.  I tracked my issue back to June 2nd.  That is, any Excel files that was refreshed by the Power BI Service after June 2nd has a corrupt data model.  Simply trying to queries pane will result in Excel crashing entirely.  I did find that the Windows Event Viewer is registering the error as:

The description for Event ID 39 from source MSOLAP$LocalCube cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

An unexpected exception occurred.

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

I tried to restore files from backup, but as soon as Power BI refreshes the data model, the problem returns.  

This is a big problem for us, and we would be very interested in finding out what is causing this and what the solution is.  Thanks. 

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Alan_ ,

Can you provide details of the reproduction steps and the version of Power BI you are currently using? I am not able to reproduce your issue, this information will help us to determine if it is a bug and if so, we will submit an internal icm to fix it as soon as possible.

@rjhale 

Based on the above information, if you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.
It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Alan_
Advocate II

@v-xiaoyan-msft

My issue is with excel data models. I have a number of Workbooks published to the PowerBI service which the service refreshes. This has worked fine for several years and means my data remains up to date. 

As of approximately a week ago the service has started to corrupt the data model within the workbooks after the refresh. This has affected various workbooks, and since this is not specific to one workbook and these workbooks have worked perfectly well for several years I deduce the issue is caused by the service and likely is affecting others as well. 

To replicate the issue I suggest creating a workbook with a Power Query table, loading the table into the model in power pivot and publishing it to the service. Next refresh via the service, then open the workbook on your PC and try to open the model either in Power Query or Power Pivot. I find after these steps excel will crash without any error due to the model being corrupt. 

Alan__0-1654765050426.png

rjhale
Helper IV

Ok.  I will open a support ticket as well.  What Alan described in his latest comment is exactly what we're seeing on our end as well.  We've confirmmed that the data model fails to load and crashes Excel on any computer after the model has been refreshed by the Power BI service.  It doesn't seem to matter which version of Excel we're using as we've seen this happen with ProPlus current channel and beta.  

rutjim_

I am experiencing the same situation as Alan. As soon as I try to refresh the data, my Excel crashes completely. I have tried on multiple computers, all with the same result. This does sound like a bug to me.

Leione
Frequent Visitor

@v-xiaoyan-msft 

I created a new data model with only one table after the failure occurred. The failure still occurred after  refresh in power bi service. I tested it on multiple machines and different office365 versions, and the results were the same

aurelien
Frequent Visitor

We have the same situation since monday the 6th of June. Have been in contact with MS support beeing sent from SP team to PBI team to Office team with no success.

Online refresh using datagateway kind of corrupt the file for Ecel applciation. It's working fine with online version.

Typical Event viewer message seems to indicate that excel can't get the datmodel:

The description for Event ID 25 from source MSOLAP$LocalCube cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

msmdsrvi_xl.rll

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

or

The description for Event ID 19 from source MSOLAP$LocalCube cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

An error occurred when loading the 'Microsoft_SQLServer_AnalysisServices', from the file, '\\?\C:\Users\xxxxxx.xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\{38A7CB23-B6E3-47B2-AB59-DE7D9B5C53EA}\VertiPaq_E61D01719804DCA87E8\A5407185E29D4BBFBE17.7.db.xml'.

Also I have information at file opening sying:Offline downlevel migration succeeded.

RosaVB
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as @Alan_ , when updating files from Power BI they crash and give data model error.

aerie1
Regular Visitor

We are also having this exact issue and are currently in communication with Microsoft Support.