Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Excel & Report Builder - can no longer view Power BI dataset in new workspace but could until 1 Oct

I'm mystified because a colleague and I were able to connect to a Power BI dataset published in a NEW workspace until this week (1st Oct 2019). He was using Power BI Publisher for Excel and I was using Power BI Report builder. Today neither of us could access that same dataset using these tools - but he can still use his excel report against the pbix dataset published in the NEW workspace and I can modify the Power BI Report builder datasets based on that same pbix dataset. However I can not add a new dataset using it as I can no longer select it... and he can not create another Excel report using it for the same reason.
So it did work for a few weeks and now it doesn't anymore. When is it due to truly become available?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

I tested with Power BI report builder v15.0.1425.0 and Power BI publisher for Excel 2.37.3272.33601, but not able to reproduce the issue. 

In your scenario, please update both Power BI report builder and Power BI publisher for Excel to the same version as ours. Please open Power BI desktop, click on Get Data -> Power Platform -> Power BI datasets, sign in with the same Power BI account, check if you are able to connect to the same dataset. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

These are the exact versions we are using.

The Report Builder issue was a mistake on my part it seems.

However in the Power BI Publisher for Excel  ‘Connect to data in Power BI’ dialog box I still only can see the workspaces which are of the Group type. None of the one of the Workspace Type are visible.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks

Milly

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Published add-in for Excel is not compatible with V2 workspace currently, and we don't have an ETA about when this will be made available. You can vote on this same idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/37941805-power-bi-publisher-for-excel-new-workspace-suppo

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

How do you explain that I have an Excel file today connected to a Power BI dataset itself published in a V2 workspace. I was able to create the Excel file (in September) I can still refresh it but I wouldn't be able to build it again from scratch.

Thanks,

Milly