Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error while connecting azure analysis service from PowerBI desktop

I had a problem when I tried to use PowerBI desk top to connect to the azure analysis service on my machine.

My organization already sink the AD with Microsoft, and I'm the admin of azure analysis service inctance.

The connection is fine when I'm using SSMS on my machine. And if I use a remote VM, the PowerBI desktop on that VM can connect to azure analysis service.

This issue is not just my machine, other developers found the same issue with PowerBI desktop.

Can anyone help me to figure out what the issue is? Any firewall setting? Any service config?

The follwoing is the error message from PowerBi desktop

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
An error occurred while loading the model for the item or data source 'OpenConnectionError'. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source.

Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.LocalReportProcessingHost.ExecuteSchemaCommand[T](DataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, ITracer tracer, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, ITelemetryService telemetryService, Func`2 action, String failTelemetryMessage)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.LocalReportProcessingHost.GetModelMetadata(IASConnectionInfo connectionInfo, DataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, ITracer tracer, String modelMetadataVersion, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, ITelemetryService telemetryService)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.DataShapingHelper.GetModelMetadata(IPowerViewEngine powerViewEngine, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, DataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IASConnectionInfo asConnectionInfo, Boolean useMsolapForCsdl, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, ITelemetryService telemetryService, String maxModelMetadataVersion)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ReportingSession.GetModel(String dataSourceName, String modelMetadataVersion)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ReportingSession.GetModelAsStream(String dataSourceName, String modelMetadataVersion)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.Utils.ExploreHostUtils.GetModelStream(IPowerViewHandler powerViewHandler, String databaseID, String maxModelMetadataVersion)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.ExploreClient.GetConceptualSchema(String databaseID, String maxModelMetadataVersion)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.GetConceptualSchema()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.get_DataModel()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Report.GetCurrentModelAuthoringCapabilities()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.GetConceptualSchema()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.get_DataModel()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Report.GetCurrentModelAuthoringCapabilities()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ExplorationClientHost.IsAskAQuestionSupported()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions[T](IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Func`1 func)

Stack Trace Message:
An error occurred while loading the model for the item or data source 'OpenConnectionError'. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source.

Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Utilities.UIBlockingAwareExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions[T](IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Func`1 func)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Commands.CommandFactory.<>c__DisplayClass6.<FromSyncHandlers>b__5(CommandParameter p)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Commands.CompositeCommand.CanExecute(Object parameter)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UICommands.CommandAction.IsEnabled(UInt32 commandId)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Windows.Ribbon.RibbonCommandHandler.UpdateProperty(UInt32 commandId, PropertyKey& key, PropVariantRef currentValue, PropVariant& newValue)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Windows.Ribbon.Interop.IUIFramework.FlushPendingInvalidations()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Windows.Ribbon.Interop.IUIFramework.FlushPendingInvalidations()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Windows.Ribbon.RibbonCommandHandler.FlushInvalidations()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Windows.Ribbon.RibbonCommandHandler.InvalidateAllCommands(Boolean invalidateAllProperties)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.Ribbon.EditorRibbonControlBase.InternalInvalidateRibbon()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Ribbon.ApplicationRibbonControl.InternalInvalidateRibbon()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.Ribbon.EditorRibbonControlBase.Invalidate()
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.PubSubEvents.EventSubscription`1.<>c__DisplayClass2.<GetExecutionStrategy>b__0(Object[] arguments)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.PubSubEvents.EventBase.InternalPublish(Object[] arguments)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.EventAggregationService.<>c__DisplayClassf`2.<<PublishInternal>b__e>d__11.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.EventAggregationService.<>c__DisplayClassf`2.<PublishInternal>b__e()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__3.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Func`1 asyncFunc)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAsyncExceptions>d__0.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncVoidMethodBuilder.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleAsyncExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Func`1 asyncFunc)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.EventAggregationService.Publish[TEvent](EventArgsBase eventArgs)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseHelper.PublishDataChangeEvent()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Report.set_AnalysisServicesDatabase(IAnalysisServicesDatabase value)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIDataImporter.ValidateAndCreateLiveConnection(ILiveConnectionProperties connectionProperties)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.DataImporter.<>c__DisplayClassb.<TryAddSource>b__7(JsonUpdate builderResults, Formula updatedFormula)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.DataImporter.ShowBuilderDialog(PackageReference packageReference, FormulaPath formulaPath, FormulaPartInfo formulaPartInfo, Query query, Action`2 successCallback, Action failureCallback, Boolean isNewQuery, Boolean isFromEditor)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.DataImporter.ResolveQuerySettings(Query query, Action`2 successCallback, Action failureCallback, ResolutionSetting resolutionSetting, Boolean isNewQuery, Boolean isFromEditor)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.DataImporter.TryAddSource(String sourceID, Query& newQuery)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.ConnectHelper.Connect(IWindowHandle owner, IDataSourceTemplateProvider dataSourceTemplateProvider, IUIHost uiHost, ITelemetryService telemetryService, DataImporter dataImporter, CommandUIControlBase commandUIControl, String sourceId, Nullable`1 targetQueryGroupId)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Commands.ApplicationCommands.DataImportCommands.Connect(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, ConnectParameters parameters)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Commands.CommandFactory.<>c__DisplayClass42`1.<FromSyncHandlers>b__3f(UICommandParameter`1 p)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Commands.DelegateCommandBase.<>c__DisplayClass2.<.ctor>b__0(Object arg)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Commands.DelegateCommandBase.<Execute>d__7.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Commands.DelegateCommandBase.Execute(Object parameter)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Commands.DelegateCommandBase.<System.Windows.Input.ICommand.Execute>d__4.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncVoidMethodBuilder.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Commands.DelegateCommandBase.System.Windows.Input.ICommand.Execute(Object parameter)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Commands.CompositeCommand.Execute(Object parameter)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIDataSourceTemplateProvider.ConnectInternal(String formulaId, Nullable`1 targetQueryGroupId)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.DataSourceTemplateProvider.Connect(String formulaId, Nullable`1 targetQueryGroupId)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.Ux.FloatingDialog.SimpleDialog.DataSourceGalleryDialog.<>c__DisplayClass2.<ConnectToDataSource>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WebDialogs.WebDialog.<>n__FabricatedMethod8(IWindowHandle )
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WindowManager.ShowModal[T](T dialog, Func`1 showModalFunction)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassb.<Main>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

AS Live Connection:
True

ip

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_EnableReportTheme
PBI_newFromWeb
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
CustomConnectors
AdobeAnalytics_UseHierarchicalNavigation
PBI_qnaExplore
PBI_variationUIChange
PBI_canvasTooltips
PBI_showIncrementalRefreshPolicy

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
PBI_DirectQuery_Unrestricted
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

Formulas:

section Section1;

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@scott666,

What version of Power BI Desktop do you use on your machine? Do you sync local AD to Azure AD? And  what credential do you use when you deploy tabular model to Azure Analysis Services?

A cummunity member gets same issue as he doesn't use Active Directory user to connect to Azure Analysis Services.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Error-connecting-from-Power-BI-Desktop-to-Azure-Analysis/td...

Regards,
Lydia

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

scott666
Regular Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply

It's not AD issue. we do use windows AD for azure analysis service and PowerBI.

As I mentioned before, our organization already sync AD with azure.

And we can connect azure analysis services vip Power-BI desktop on a VM machine, but I and some other staffs cannot connect on local machine. Furthermore, I can connect it through PowerBI desktop when I'm using VPN (out of office), but when back to office, whatever I tried, I just cannot connect.

I have a feeling that this issue might not be the PowerBI bug but a Company Group Policy issue.

I don't know how to figure out which service setting shoud be exclude from GPO.

I have the GPO issue experience when I 'm using SQL Server R Service, but I cannot find any resource like R service doc to give me a light to fix.