Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error when using live connection to Power BI dataset "An error occurred while loading the model"

Hello,

details below - several users that rely on PBI desktop reports using live connections to workspace datasets are reporting intermittent issues (several per day), when an error message pops up, and they are forced to close and reopen PBI desktop. This has been happening for the last week or two at least.

PBI desktop version:  2.65.5313.621 64-bit (December 2018)

Note: I wanted to download the latest February version, but couldn't as the advanced link is broken (another issue I reported earlier today). Come on MS!

pbi error.png

Error Message:
An error occurred while loading the model for the item or data source ''. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source.

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.LocalReportProcessingHost.ExecuteSchemaCommand[T](DataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, ITracer tracer, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, ITelemetryService telemetryService, Func`2 action, String failTelemetryMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.LocalReportProcessingHost.GetModelMetadata(IASConnectionInfo connectionInfo, DataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, ITracer tracer, String modelMetadataVersion, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, ITelemetryService telemetryService)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.DataShapingHelper.GetModelMetadata(IPowerViewEngine powerViewEngine, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, DataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IASConnectionInfo asConnectionInfo, Boolean useMsolapForCsdl, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, ITelemetryService telemetryService, String maxModelMetadataVersion)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ReportingSession.GetModel(String dataSourceName, String modelMetadataVersion)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ReportingSession.GetModelAsStream(String dataSourceName, String modelMetadataVersion)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ReportingSession.GetConceptualSchema(String modelMetadataVersion, ParseConceptualSchema parse, ModelDaxCapabilities& capabilities)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.Utils.ExploreHostUtils.GetConceptualSchemaImpl(IPowerViewHandler powerViewHandler, String databaseID, String maxModelMetadataVersion, ModelDaxCapabilities& capabilities)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.Utils.ExploreHostUtils.HandleModelRetrievalExceptions[T](Func`1 wrappedCall, String databaseID)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.Utils.ExploreHostUtils.GetConceptualSchemaAndHandleExceptions(IPowerViewHandler powerViewHandler, String databaseID, String maxModelMetadataVersion, ModelDaxCapabilities& daxCapabilities)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.ExploreClient.GetConceptualSchema(String databaseID, String maxModelMetadataVersion)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.GetConceptualSchema()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.get_DataModel()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ExplorationClientHost.IsAskAQuestionSupported()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions[T](IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Func`1 func)

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue as @rmodi. Have yet to find a solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue ,   

1. I can see the Dataset from the PowerBI services that i am trying to use from Desktop.

i am using most recent version. Can you please help ? 

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2020-07-02T07:05:48.0884038Z

Local Time:
2020-07-02T08:05:48.0884038+01:00

Session ID:
f47b8348-bfb2-42fe-a0b7-ec2d8e0cdfd2

Release:
June, 2020

Product Version:
2.82.5858.961 (20.06) (x86)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 461814]

Peak Virtual Memory:
1.42 GB

Private Memory:
419 MB

Peak Working Set:
647 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
a8f0b7e1-b5ec-4e63-a27a-58ab88d7ede2

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-GB, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Snapshot Trace Logs:
C:\Users\panhi02\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\FrownSnapShot1563694500.zip

Model Default Mode:
Empty

Model Version:
PowerBI_V1

Is Report V3 Models Enabled:
False

Performance Trace Logs:
C:\Users\panhi02\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\PerformanceTraces.zip

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_NewWebTableInference
PBI_modelViewASLiveConnect

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_inlineExplore
PBI_v3ModelsPreview
PBI_relativeTimeSlicer
PBI_dataSearchCuration

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Formulas:

section Section1;

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this issue sorted out?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Helper IV, Nope this issue has not been resolved yet. Could you please look into this ?
cyclingsam9
Regular Visitor

I am also getting this error. Is is something with the most recent update causing it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

While looking this up , i got same impression for this. ( There are many people who faced issue since June 20 's update.

But i tried with July 20 and also made fixes suggested for June 20.  But it didn't help. Raised issue with MS. They are looking into this.

Will update once i hear from them. 

tommy_g
Helper V

Joining this issue a bit late, but I have this problem on a regular basis. 

I can reproduce it consistently. A Desktop PBIX with a live connection to a master dataset gets this error after the dataset is refreshed. It's as simple as that. Easily reproduced.

I'm using July 2021 Desktop on Win 10 Pro, all the latest updates for everything.

Note that the new Power BI Report Builder connected to that same dataset fails in exactly the same way.

My theory: the dataset refresh works in the background, just like an isolate database transaction. When committed, they swap a pointer (of similar programming trick) to the new copy of the dataset. Somewhere along the line, the pointers or authentication are hosed. You can exit and restart and all is fine. But that is no way to develop.

annamalaig
Frequent Visitor

I've encountered this problem multiple times with different versions of PBI desktop (Dec 2021 and Feb 2022 versions) when i try to refresh a report which utilizes the existing dataset on the Power BI service.

PBI Desktop does indicates that report is connected to the live PBI dataset, but doesn't allow you to refresh the data within PBI desktop.

Currently the workaround i'm using it to publish this report from the desktop to the PBI service and able to open the report and refresh the dataset refreshes this new report as well. Looks like issue is isolated to the PBI desktop. This solution would only work if you have report ready to go with the existing reference to the PBI service dataset, not able to make changes to the report via PBI desktop. 

I really hope MS addresses this issue quickly.

@tommy_g , @Anonymous, @cyclingsam9 - Still facing same issues?

Cannot load model with PBI dataset.JPG