Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error when exporting data in Excel from powerbi service

Hello,

A user contacted me to tell that she receives a message when trying to export the data from a matrix in a report to excel. I witness it when she shared her screen and was able to replicate the problem on my end.

The problem occurs in the workspace and in the app.

Here is the error message, I click on export data from the visual (matrix). The file downloads no problem but when I click to open it, it tells me:

"We found a problem with some content in 'data (4).xlsx'. Do  you want us to recover as much as we can? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes."

Then there's a yes / no button. I click Yes and press enable content in Excel.

I have this error message:

Excel was able to open the file by repairing or removing the unreadable content.

"Excel completed file level validation and repair. Some parts of this workbook may have been repaired or discarded.
Repaired Records: Cell information from /xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml part
"

Then there's a close button at the bottom.

It always does this in one of the page of one of our powerbi report.

You can contact me if you want and I can share my screen with you.

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous 

I cannot reproduce the issue. Republish report using the latest version of Power BI Desktop and create a support ticket for assistance if necessary.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I republished the report and still have the same issue, I do a support ticket.

Thank you!

marcus2020

I am getting the same error "We found a problem with some content in 'XXXX.xlsx'. Do  you want us to recover as much as we can? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes."

I am using the latest PBI Desktop. 

I have checked my PBI model, no model error.

How do you debug such an error?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh so the solution was that there was an invalid measure in the report. So you have to use iferror(calculation,alternative) for all your division measure because division by zero makes this error.

So if you have division by zero you can do:

iferror( a/b, 0)

when you divide a by b, if b is =0, put 0 instead of the error.