Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error when accessing reports that were published to the service since yesterday

Since yesterday morning, we started having this issue where we 'successfully' publish a report to the service, but get the following error message when trying to access it-

pbi_service_err.png

It happens pretty much every time we publish a report, and seems to be fixed when we re-publish the untouched report for a second time.

Additional info-

• It happened to us with 10+ different reports and several different users.
  • The data source used in all reports was SQL Server and the connectivity method in all was "Import".
  • The Power BI Desktop versions from which the reports were published were those of July 2018 & March 2018.
Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @itayrom,

Would you please test again if the issue is still here now? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

itayrom
Resolver II

Still happening.

pbi_service_err1.png

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @itayrom,

Would you please share the issued reports with us so we can try to test if the issue related to reports? If report contains sensitive data, please upload the report to your OneDrive and send the link to me via private message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

itayrom
Resolver II

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

I can't share our reports because they contain confidential data that belongs to our clients.

However, I kept trying to pinpoint the cause for this issue, to see if it's something we did in our reports or a more general problem, and came up with the following:

TL;DR

The issue seems to occur in reports that contain organizational custom visuals from the marketplace. 

1. One thing all our reports have in common is that they all use an organizational custom visual we developed.

2. I performed several tests on two reports- an existing one with which we already had this problem, and a completely new one I made for this purpose.

3. The new report did not have this problem at the beginning, but when I noticed (1), I added the organizational visual from the marketplace to the report & published it. After it finished, I made some selections on some slicers in the report, removed the selections and published it again, and when I tried to access the report on the service this time, the issue occurred.

4. I removed the custom visual from the existing report, did the same process I did in (3), and the issue didn't occur.

5. In both reports I replaced the visual with a local version (I.e, from a file, instead of the marketplace), performed the same operations mentioned above, and the issue didn't occur.

6. I uploaded the sample custom visual generated by the 'PowerBI Custom Visual Tool' to our organization, added it to the reports via the marketplace, removed our existing visual from them, performed the same test as above, and the issue occured.

Additional notes:

• Both reports were loaded with a large (>70m records) fact table with one high cardinality column.
  • The data source used in both reports was SQL Server and the connectivity method in both was "Import".
  • The tests were performed with the July 2018 release of Power BI Desktop.
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @itayrom,

Which "sample custom visual generated by the 'PowerBI Custom Visual Tool' " do you mean? Does the issue happen to app store custom visual

Would you please create a report with dummy data for us to reproduce the issue? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

itayrom
Resolver II

By "sample custom visual generated by the 'PowerBI Custom Visual Tool'", I mean the visual created when typing "pbiviz new [name]" in the command line.

No, it does not happen with app store custom visuals. It happens only with custom visuals under "My Organization".

Here is a sample report containing a manually typed table with 6 rows & 2 columns-

https://s3.amazonaws.com/powerbi-resources/temp/test.pbix

It contains a single page with a slicer & the sample visual imported from "My Organization".

I'm not sure how it's supposed to work for you, since I assume your user is not supposed to be able to access resources in my organization.

To recreate the issue:

1. Open the report with Power BI Desktop.

2. Publish it to the service.

3. Still in desktop, make a selection on the slicer, clear the selection, save the report & publish it again to the service.

4. Try to access the report on the service.

itayrom
Resolver II

Any updates? We still encounter this issue on a daily basis.

itayrom
Resolver II

Anything?