Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error shows when extracting data from Power BI Service

Hi,

I have recently encountered the issue while extracting data from PB Service, the error shows:"File couldn't be created. Executing the Query for the Export Data operation resulted in an error":

stellal____0-1646183848183.png

It works when I extracted the data using Power BI Desktop version.

Also, this only happen in certain filters; when other filters are applied it works fine.

I have checked in the community there has not been any clear resolution on this issue... Could anyone please look into it? Thank you.

Hi @stellal___ 

To troubleshoot such kind of error, please carry these operations.

• Check the data source of your report and confirm whether the data source is dataflow/excel/SAP
  • Capture a browser trace to see whether the underlying error shows http 500
  • Check whether the error details is something like: Error:value=The query referenced calculated column '1 append spend'[PO date] which does not hold any data because evaluation of one of the rows caused an error

vcazhengmsft_0-1646271197607.png

If it does, please try this solution and let me know whether this solution is applicable to you. Thanks in advance!

• Delete the above erroneous calculated column in Power bI desktop as it had incorrect DAX query.
  • Republish the report(If the report is added into an App, updated the App)
  • The export of underlying data should work perfectly post that

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @stellal___ 

To troubleshoot such kind of error, please carry these operations.

• Check the data source of your report and confirm whether the data source is dataflow/excel/SAP
  • Capture a browser trace to see whether the underlying error shows http 500
  • Check whether the error details is something like: Error:value=The query referenced calculated column '1 append spend'[PO date] which does not hold any data because evaluation of one of the rows caused an error

vcazhengmsft_0-1646271197607.png

If it does, please try this solution and let me know whether this solution is applicable to you. Thanks in advance!

• Delete the above erroneous calculated column in Power bI desktop as it had incorrect DAX query.
  • Republish the report(If the report is added into an App, updated the App)
  • The export of underlying data should work perfectly post that

Best Regards,

stellal___
Regular Visitor

Hi Caiyun @v-cazheng-msft ,

Thanks for your reply. I have just tried and the error detials show like this:

stellal____0-1646272058464.png

It is an 500 error, with error value="Failed to execute the DAX query.

By the way the data source is from Synapse DW.

Could you please suggest any advice. Thank you so much.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @stellal___ ,

Could you please check the response of this request in JSON format to see whether you could find the error prompt in details? Just as the screenshot shows, is there any Calculated column or Measure mentioned?

vcazhengmsft_0-1646273190878.png

If you couldn’t find such kind of info, please check your report in Desktop(You counld download your report to pbix file) to see whether your visual is created with any calculated column or measure. Then, try to figure out which one of them causes this issue. Once target the culprit, you could remove it from the visual or correct it to make it through.

Best Regards,

stellal___
Regular Visitor

Hi Caiyun @v-cazheng-msft,

I couldnt find the error details related to any calculated columns/measures... This report is using direct query mode therefore there's no complicated measure applied.

Also I have tried exporting the data in desktop version (using same filters) and it works, very weird..

Thank you.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @stellal___ ,

Thanks for your reply! I got it. Please consider creating a support ticket in Power BI Support if you are a Pro user. Then, there will be a support engineer to have a remote session with you to troubleshoot on this issue.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

It couldn’t be better if you post the root cause and solution here after you get them from the engineer to help others may encounter similar issue . Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,