Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error retrieving the user class from Active Directory

When retrieving the user class from the Active Directory data source we get the error messages "Value cannot be null" and "Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object". Other classes are working and the user class on other domains are working. I guess Power Query is getting some kind of value it doesn't expect but the error message should be more clear.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @svantegraden

Please go to Query Editor, check if there is any error cell in the user table, please remove them then apply change. 

Also please run the latest Power BI desktop version if possible. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

svantegraden
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft 

The user table never gets expanded, it's in this step the error occurs. I'm running the latest version of Power BI Desktop. Also tried in Excel with the same result.

wizard.pngpower query.png

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @svantegraden

I tested on my side but not able to reproduce the issue on my side. I would suggest you create a support ticket to let engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

svantegraden
Regular Visitor

Yes. The connection is working fine against other domains so it's some kind of problem in this specific domain. I was hoping Microsoft would consider adding more detailed error message, preferably the exact column generating this error.

I'm going on summer holiday now, will create a support ticket when I'm back. Thank you for your help.