Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error publish report using shared datasets. The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.

In Power BI desktop I have connected to a shared dataset in Power BI service (different workspace to the one I am publishing to). I can publish it once okay - but when I make a change in Power BI desktop and try to publish it again I get the following error: "An error occurred while attempting to publish 'GMROI GMROS Summary.pbix': The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request."

Power BI Desktop.png

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@roselilly23 ,

@roselilly23 wrote:

In Power BI desktop I have connected to a shared dataset in Power BI service (different workspace to the one I am publishing to). I can publish it once okay - but when I make a change in Power BI desktop and try to publish it again I get the following error: "An error occurred while attempting to publish 'GMROI GMROS Summary.pbix': The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request."

Power BI Desktop.png

What's the data source in your shared dataset? How do you connect to the shared dataset in power bi service? Could you please share more details?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

roselilly23
Advocate V

@v-yuta-msft 
Hi Jimmy, 

The datasource in the shared dataset is an import from Azure Sql DW. The dataset is then published to workspace A.

I connected to the shared dataset from workspace A in the desktop tool and then publish the report to workspace B.

When I make changes to the report and try to publish over the report in workspace B, this is when the error occurs. If I go and delete the report from workspace B and then republish the report, this works okay.  

Thanks,

Rose

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@roselilly23 ,

Based on my test, we can only publish the report to the same workspace after modified when we connect to the workspace dataset. How can you publish the report to workspace B after modified? Could you share more details about the steps?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

roselilly23
Advocate V

Hi @v-yuta-msft ,

From my experience the shared datasets only work in the new V2 workspaces, this is how I can connect to dataset in workspace A and publish to workspace B. With the old workspaces it as is you described and can only publish to same workspace. 

Thanks,

Rose

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@roselilly23 ,

I have test the workspace V2 senario. Actually the dataset can be published to the different workspace V2 on my side. There's no 400 error as you mentioned. If this error persists, I would suggest you to create a support ticket here.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

roselilly23
Advocate V

Hi Jimmy, @v-yuta-msft  

It works fine he first time I publish it but when I try to publish the report again and replace over the report in Worksapce B this is when I receive the error. Is this working fine for you, publishing the second time?

Thanks,

Rose

romanovmv
Advocate I

I'm facing the same issue when trying to overwrite the existing report that uses the shared dataset. The only workaround that I've found so far is to delete the original report and then to publish the fresh one.