Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error message " "The model doesn't have a named expression named <Query>" after clicking 'Apply'

After renaming a query and clicking Apply, I sometimes get the following error:

"Apply query changes

Divisions

The model doesn't have a named expression named <Query>."

I have the April 2019 Power BI Desktop installed, but have noticed this error for at least the last couple of months and on multiple computers.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoeRobert06 @mo_jo_jo  I had the same issue, my measures table was crashing the refresh even though it was not part of the data model. I fixed this by creating a new table, moving the measures to the new one and later removing the older.

I hope this works for you!

Dan_Sprague
Advocate I

I ran into this same issue, with a measure table today.  Tried the solution @Anonymous mentioned and it worked like a charm.  Thanks.

Still curious as to what happened, why 🙂 

mo_jo_jo
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous Thanks for sharing that. The issue was resolved by using a similar approach.

@Dan_Sprague Likewise. It's quite odd how the error came out of nowhere. But there is saying about curiousity and cats 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've also had the same issue with measure tables. I found that going into Query Editor and removing the step where I removed the column from the table I created from using the Enter Data option solved the problem for me. The measure table changes back to a regular table.

SteveD2
Resolver I

I've had the error occur twice now. Both, with Tables that only contain measures. I've corrected the error on both occasions doing the following. On the first occasion, I moved the measures to another table and deleted the offending table. On the second occasion, I deleted a step in Power Query which removed a column and then re-ran the refresh without issues. 

timcof
Employee

I ran in to this today. My scenario was that i have a query with no data source connection, but is used more as a container for all of my measures. Upon refresh i got the error in the desktop. I went in to the M query section (transform data), refreshed the preview of my container and other queries, and closed and applied. Refresh worked and could republish with fresh data.

HTH.

hymieho3
Employee

Same issue with me: error with the measures table. Just renaming the table from "Measures Table" to "Measures_" unblocked & allowed a refresh. 

jake223
Helper I

I also had this same issue with my Measure Table when refreshing the data model I would get the error. I've updated the table name and refreshed the data and everything works.

Pascal_KTeam
Resolver I

Hi all!

I've seen this issue many times so I figured it's best to show how to solve it in a short video

Take a look here: https://youtu.be/jp0-ryvw9EM

al1981
Frequent Visitor

Hi to all

i searched for solution as well, but for me recreating relations did not helped - i needed to delete query and create it once more and voila...