Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error message: Unable to determine the data source

Since about a week ago one of our reports using a direct query connection have been getting this error:

Unable to determine the data source. When custom connectors are used, the error can happen if gateway doesn't have the extension enabled. Details: {AnalysisErrorMessage}.

What is especially strange about this issue:

- The report has been working fine for more than a year before this error started about a week ago, with no recent changes to the report

- If we publish the report again to Power BI Service, it will work as expected for about an hour or so before the error comes back

- We have published the report both to a regular workspace and a PPU workspace, and the issue is only appearing in the regular workspace

The report is a composite model with import and a direct query source through an on premise gateway. The direct query source is the MySQL Power BI connector from CData.  We have updated both the on premise gateway and the connector to the latest version.

Hi @magnus_b,

It’s weird that this issue is specific in regular workspace. Is the regular workspace in Share capacity or capacity like Premium capacity? If you create a new regular workspace and publish your report there, will you see this issue as well?

Best Regards,    

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @magnus_b,

It’s weird that this issue is specific in regular workspace. Is the regular workspace in Share capacity or capacity like Premium capacity? If you create a new regular workspace and publish your report there, will you see this issue as well?

Best Regards,    

magnus_b
Advocate II

Hi @v-cazheng-msft ,

This is occuring in a shared capacity regular/Pro workspace. I have checked that refresh and gateway settings are identical. I have now created a new regular workspace and published the report there, and I will report back if I get the same error.

What I also found strange is that this exact error message gave no results on a Google search, except for a a community thread created last week. This leads me to believe this could be a new issue (or a very rare one!).

magnus_b
Advocate II

Hi again @v-cazheng-msft ,

I published the report to a new regular/Pro workspace and I experienced the same issue. The direct query visuals are working as expected right after the report was published, but when I open the report again an hour later I get the same error message.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

@magnus_b,

Got it and thanks for your reply!  Please create a support ticket in Power BI Support if you are a Pro user. Then, there will be a technical engineer to help you troubleshoot on this issue.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,    

magnus_b
Advocate II

@v-cazheng-msft Ok, I have created a ticket.

rk_aga
Frequent Visitor

I'm having this exact same problem starting from last week and this thread is 1 out of 2 threads that exists on Google.
Currently using Direct Query on Couchbase Connector from CData.

Please share if there is a solution for this issue.

Thanks!

magnus_b
Advocate II

@rk_aga I just had a screen sharing session with Microsoft support today and have provided gateway logs. I will update this thread once they have provided a solution to the issue.

rk_aga
Frequent Visitor

many thanks @magnus_b.

are there any updates regarding to this issue @v-cazheng-msft ?
currently most of our crucial dashboards are still having this issue and the only solution is to republish the dashboards every 1-2 hours.

Tes1er_12
Regular Visitor

Any updates on this please?

wbetyna
Regular Visitor

Hi all,

Same issue here. Started about 1-2 weeks ago.
I use CDATA connector to PostgreSQL (Odoo ERP). This seems to be related to the issue as others also report using CDATA connectors.

I run couple of reports using DirectQuery.

I use On-premises Gateway.

The reports work absolutely fine on PowerBI Desktop. The only workaround is to keep reuploading them to PowerBI Service every few hours.

I would apreciate if you could post outcome of your investigation.