Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error in Scatter Chart visualisation when using Legend & Play Axis

Hi,

Really loving Power BI!  However, I think I have come across a potential bug.

I have the following scenario:

A number of services, of different sizes & contract length, which are scored monthly.  We are wanting to review scoring change (positive vs. negative) against the previous month, alongside the service size and how close it is to the end of the contract.

To do this, we created some measures to return the scoring difference, and a calculated column to return a banding number to evidence how near it is the end of the contract at each reporting date.  All of this appears fine.

Our ideal way to plot it on the scatter chart is:

• Details - Service;
  • Legend: Time Left Banding; (to use colours to highlight how near to contract end)
  • X-Axis: currently month score;
  • Y-Axis: Difference from previous month;
  • Size: Service Size; (to show relative service size)
  • Play Axis: Reporting Date.

This works, until there is a change in the Time Left Banding (e.g. Legend).  On the reporting date in which Legend group changes, the Y-Axis (Difference) value is incorrect - it appears to pick up the X-Axis value (current score) instead.  The X-Axis value itself is correct.  Once past the date where the legend change occurs, it returns to normal/correct behaviour:

ScatterError0.PNGScatterError1.PNGScatterError2.PNG

If we remove the legend, the scatter chart works as expected.

If we swap the legend and size fields - i.e. bubble size reflects the amount of time remaining, colour reflects service size grouping - it also works correctly.   [This is a useable workaround, however not the most intutive/ideal way to display the data.]

I'm using PowerBI Desktop version: 2.53.4954.481 64-bit (December 2017)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Maggie

Comments
v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi Maggie,

Can you share the pbix file with me? The behaviours of the visual depend on the data and the data structure. It's hard to reproduce it in my side.

Best Regards,

Dale

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Maggie

Hi Dale,

Thanks for your speedy reply.  The link below is to a sample PBIX with mocked up data. 

Note the transition between Nov & Dec.

Thanks in advance,

Maggie

Sample PBIX file