Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error in Publishing Power BI report from PBI desktop to PBI web service after Sep-22 update

Hi all,

Does anyone experience issues in publishling Power BI report after the September-2022 update (Version: 2.109.782.0 64-bit (September 2022)) ?

Screenshot 2022-09-22 123854.png

The following message comes when publishing the report:

"Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was foribly closed by the remote host"

Screenshot 2022-09-22 123747.png

I've searched online for solutions but could not figure it out.  

My pbix file is 18.9MB

Thanks!

Hi @kiaklee 

You can try to go to Power BI service, Get Data-> Files to get pbix files, this has the same effect as publish from desktop. If you can get file successfully , there may be a problem with your Desktop, you can uninstall and reinstall the Desktop to see if it works .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
cinnaban
Regular Visitor

I'm having the same issues - been publishing the same file and updating it weekly and for some reason it decided to stop working.

My pbix file size 58MB

kiaklee
Regular Visitor

@cinnaban as per the reply from microsoft support, you could try the following. However, they didn't work for myself.  I'm waiting for their further advice.

1.  Reduce the file size by removing data that is not needed down the road in datasets or reports.

2. Try to test the publishing of the report in different network. Generally, the first people to check with are the owners of the data source you're attempting to connect to. If they don’t think they’re the ones closing the connection, then it’s possible something along the way is (for example, a proxy server, intermediate routers/gateways, and so on). Whether this only reproduces with any data or only larger data sizes, it's likely that there's a network timeout somewhere on the route.

3. Clear the data cache

a. Open the PBIX file in Power BI desktop (latest version)
​​​​​​b. Now, go to File-> Options and settings -> Options -> Clear cache  ->  Click OK

c. Go to File -> Options and settings ->  Datasource settings -> Clear all permissions

d. Now, refresh the report in Power BI desktop. You will have to re-enter the datasource credentials to complete the refresh process.

e. Once the refresh is completed, try to publish the report to Power BI service.

4. Also, try to publish to different workspace for testing purpose.

5. Uninstall and reinstall Power BI desktop application to test the behavior.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @kiaklee 

You can try to go to Power BI service, Get Data-> Files to get pbix files, this has the same effect as publish from desktop. If you can get file successfully , there may be a problem with your Desktop, you can uninstall and reinstall the Desktop to see if it works .

Best Regards,

mcow

I've been encountering a similar error that I can only assume is related to the recent update as no changes to the structure of the report has occurred:

PwrBI Error.png

The community solutions to the above error from years prior boil down to re-logging the account - which isn't resolving the issue. I've done @v-yetao1-msft's suggestion of uploading the file via the Service instead of via the Desktop app and it worked; re-installing will pose an issue due to Corp IT managed program installs but I'll update if I'm able to and confirm whether it resolves the issue.

kiaklee
Regular Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft tried your suggestion but it didn't work for me.

Interesting when I separated some bigger datasets from the report, I could publish again but still encountering intermittent errors. 

However, there is another ongoing issue for myself regarding the on-premises data gateway and the Analysis Service.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @kiaklee 

Please troubleshoot your issue through the following steps :

1. Update your Desktop to the latest version 

2. Sign out your account in Desktop and then sign in again 

3. Turn on the function in tenant settings in Power BI Service .

Ailsamsft_0-1664869024120.png

Best Regards,