Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error in Lookupvalue calculation every time I open a desktop file

Everytime I open a certain power BI desktop file not all the data in the reports load because of an error in one of my calculated columns - The error in the lookupvalue function doesnt recoginize a certain table and field in my caclulation. To correct it I remove the table / field name and replace it with the same exact value, the cacluation passes the syntax checks and all my reports update and I save it.  The next time I come into the file I have to do it again. There has been no changes to the data, or reports and it worked for months. This seem to happen after the last upgrade ,  Any Ideas ? 

Thanks You, 

Brett 

Comments
brett_walton
Helper II

I am still thinking this is a bug but here is what I did to get around it. In my lookup I had a table and a column with the SAME name. I change the column name and updated the caclucation and once I saved, back out and when back it , it all updated correctly. 

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@brett_walton

Did you use the format TableName[ColumnName] for table column in the lookupvalue function?

If you still have the error, could you please provide a PBIX file to me which can be used to repro?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

brett_walton
Helper II

I really think its a bug, I have sent to to MS .  The calculation is correct. It passes the syntax check and populates the correct data and the dashboards update correctly. Everything is fine until I exit the file and come back in than the syntax errror reappears. This dashboard was working for months the issue pop up the day after the last update.  To perminately correct it , I renamed the column, deleted the calculated column and replaced it with basically the same thing. Its been fine ever since.

Thank You for the follow up,

Brett

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@brett_walton

It is best to post the result here if you get response from MS. I’m also curious about it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered