Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error connecting to Datamart outside the editor with SSMS

I get an error connecting to my Datamart outside the editor with SSMS (or any other tool). I get this error:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection

I have the latest version of SSMS en I connect with Azure Active Directory with MFA.
Help is much appreciated.

Issue can be resolved by disconnecting VPN.

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @optimizer,

Did you get the connection string by copying it from the Settings page of your Datamarts? What’s is your permission to the Datamarts? What is your role in the Datamarts workspace? If you switch your network or disable/enable VPN if you are using it, will you connect successfully?

Could you please check with your Power BI service whether they disable Allow live connections options?

vcazhengmsft_0-1654830593386.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

optimizer
Advocate II

Hi Caiyun,

I got the connection string by copying it from the Settings page of my Datamart indeed.

I am owner/admin of the Datamart and the workspace the Datamart is in.
Do you mean VPN?  I will check with the admin for live connections (but i live connect to pre-existing datasets all the time).

Regards, hanneke

MarKha
Frequent Visitor

I got the exact same error. The connection worked after disconnecting VPN.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Issue can be resolved by disconnecting VPN.