Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error: Access to the path 'C:\Users\Heymana\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\User.zip

Hi

I am geting the error Error Message: Access to the path 'C:\Users\Heymana\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\User.zip' is denied (see feedback below). PowerBi wont open at all with this error, so I cannot open previous dashboards or create new ones. I have tried the follwing:

1. Uninstall, reboot and reinstall PowerBi

2. Unistall and try several orlder version (June 2017, July 2017) of PowerBi

After the latest uninstall, I was able to open PowerBi but when I try and load a data source I get another error, and subsequently PowerBi closes and then I get the same error as above.

Hope you can help!

Regards

AH

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2018-06-05T07:37:47.1970110Z

Local Time:
2018-06-05T09:37:47.1970110+02:00

Session ID:
9b392b9c-ec07-429a-803b-c885ebcdb4fa

Release:
May 2018

Product Version:
2.58.5103.501 (PBIDesktop) (x64)

Stack Trace:
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.<LoadCachedStorage>b__8()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.EnsureFolderCreated(Action action)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.LoadCachedStorage()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.Access()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.LocalFeatureSwitchStorage.GetFeatureSwitches()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.TracingFeatureSwitchStorage.GetFeatureSwitches()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.PreviewFeatureSwitch.LoadEnabled()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.FeatureSwitch..ctor(Guid id, Boolean defaultValue, Boolean changeRequiresRestart)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FeatureSwitchManager.RegisterPreviewFeatureSwitches()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FeatureSwitchManager.RegisterKnownSwitches()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassb.<Main>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 6.3.9600.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 461310]

Peak Virtual Memory:
33.1 GB

Private Memory:
92.4 MB

Peak Working Set:
114 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
ddb96442-0c40-429b-b1ff-46ef126db892

Workbook Package Info:
None

Telemetry Enabled:
True

DPI Scale:
125%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Access to the path 'C:\Users\Heymana\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\User.zip' is denied.

Stack Trace:
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.<LoadCachedStorage>b__8()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.EnsureFolderCreated(Action action)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.LoadCachedStorage()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.Access()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.LocalFeatureSwitchStorage.GetFeatureSwitches()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.TracingFeatureSwitchStorage.GetFeatureSwitches()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.PreviewFeatureSwitch.LoadEnabled()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.FeatureSwitch..ctor(Guid id, Boolean defaultValue, Boolean changeRequiresRestart)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FeatureSwitchManager.RegisterPreviewFeatureSwitches()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FeatureSwitchManager.RegisterKnownSwitches()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassb.<Main>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
Access to the path 'C:\Users\Heymana\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\User.zip' is denied.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

Comments
westwardone
Regular Visitor

I am having the same issue. Just started 6/4/2018 for me.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @heymana@westwardone

Please run the Power BI desktop as administrator, and ensure the user who run the desktop has full control on the C:\Users\Heymana\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\User.zip file. 

Also please check if there is a virus protection software installed on the same machine. If it does, could you try instructing the virus protection software on that computer to ignore the "C:\Users\Heymana\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop" directory?  

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

heymana
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

I am the adminstartor on my machine i.e. the username "heymana" is and adminstarttor's account. Tried running PowerBi as admin in anyway but still gives the same problem. I can acces the user.zip file, open the contents, unzip it and alll. In terms of virus protection, McAfee is installed but I see no option to add the directory as an exclusion. I did try adding it to windows firewall but ,made no differnce. Just to mention the virus software ahs not changed recently and PowerBi was functioning untill about two days ago. As far as I can tell nothing changed execpt that I updated PowerBi. Unfortunatly even the previous version do not seem to work now.

Any other ideas?

Regards

westwardone
Regular Visitor

I validated that I had admin rights on my machine, then attempted it and it stil gave me the same error. Then I uninstalled it and went to reboot it. The blue screen of death was what I got next.

westwardone
Regular Visitor

Just as an FYI, I am not able to use the Login function withing the POWER BI Desktop. I get the same error that is shown above.

westwardone
Regular Visitor

I was able to Fix this problem!

Steps

1. Navigate to the user\username\appdata\local\microsoft\Power BI Desktop folder

2. Right Click on the User.zip folder

3. Click on Security

4. Make sure that your user profile has full control

5. If changes are needed click edit

6. Click Allow Full Control

7. Click OK

8. Click OK again

9. Repeat steps 1-8 for Temp.User.zip

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @westwardone,

Thanks for your detailed steps. 

@heymana Please follow the steps provided by @westwardone to fix the issue. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

heymana
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft@westwardone

I tried the above steps but my user profile already had full control so there was nopthing that I could

change. I am still getting the same error. One thing though, I cannot find the file Temp.User.Zip??

Access Control.png

heymana
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft@westwardone@Vicky_Song

Not sure what I did but my PowerBi seems to be working again. After my previous post on the user control I uninstalled both PowerBi desktop and Excell add in. I went to the PowerBi website and downloaded the latest version of PowerBi desktop and started the install. While installing I tried to log on to my user account on the PowerBi website but for some reason I cannot log in at all. However once the installtion completed PowerBi desktop worked fine. I assume there is some sort of an issue with my username or account but not quite sure what happened but atleast I can work again.

Sorry for not being more help.

Regards

H