Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Enterprise Gateway - Folder connection error

Hi There,

I've got a enterprise gateway installed on a virtual server ( non domain ) and one of my reports connects to an excel document on a share. On PowerBI Desktop it works but trying to add the source to the gateway keeps giving a error like so,

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."Hide details

Activity ID:5e771b53-0e8e-43e1-8f0c-b2276ad50fd5
Request ID:4064528c-cad6-199f-a1e1-c2d40683f688
Cluster URI:https://wabi-europe-north-b-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code:400
Error Code:DMTS_PublishDatasourceToClusterErrorCode
Time:Wed Mar 06 2019 12:01:44 GMT+0200 (South Africa Standard Time)
Version:13.0.8621.157
FirstnetBI Gateway1:Invalid connection credentials.
Underlying error code:-2147467259
Underlying error message:The credentials provided for the Folder source are invalid. (Source at \\ipaddress\Foldername.)
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:-2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.DataSourceKind:Folder
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.DataSourcePath:\\ipaddress\\Foldername\\
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.Reason:AccessUnauthorized
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.DataSources:[{"kind":"Folder","path":"\\\\ipaddress\\Foldername\\"}]
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.Reason:AccessUnauthorized
Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi There,

This issue persisted due to source data sat on a domain and which the gateway was not on the same domain(was on a workgroup).

Tested by,
Spinning up a new server, server was joined to the same domain as the source data and gateway installed. Thereafter added the source connection to new gateway and it worked.

So should the gateway be on the same domain as the source data?

Is there some underlying issue if the gateway is not on the same domain? I didn't see any information in the documentation saying it must be on the same domain?

Kind regards,
Rayno

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous ,

How about you use the Windows login format: AzureAD\o365login as disscussed in the thread below?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Enterprise-Gateway-adding-folder-as-data-source/td-p/31579

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vyuezheemsftt 

I dont believe that'll work for this issue subject due to the source connection kind. The source in this issue is lined with a windows Share Folder and not a sharePoint Folder as per the link provided (However that was my next issue I was going to log, but thats for another thread)

I stand corrected, the link you provided is a windows Folder connection.

In this particular case, 

The first gateway was installed on a non domain server where the connection kept failing regardless using different login accounts {Domain\username}

The test gateway was installed on server which was joined to the same domain as the file server thats hosting the Folder share. Using the same login accounts as before the connect was then successfull. 

The only other thing I can think of,
The first gateway is up to date with windows updates &
The test gateway is a newly installed server is not up to date on windows updates.

For peace of mind, I reckon I should install the latest updates on the test gateway and re-add the connection and see if it breaks...

With regards to using the azureAD\o365nameloginn format, not sure I understand what my details are as we normally use {Domain\username} & upn = {username@contosoo.com}
Would you have an example format?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft ,

"For peace of mind, I reckon I should install the latest updates on the test gateway and re-add the connection and see if it breaks..."

As per quote, test gateway is up to date with the latest windows updates, the folder connection was re-added and tested successfully. 

For my particalar issue, the problem initially was the fact the first gateway was not joined to the domain, it was on the default "workgroup".  Whats odd I could browse to the data source share using the the windows File explorer, not problem.

So from my experience, Make sure the enterprise gateway is installed on a server which joined to the same domain as the datasource with regards to File & Folder source connections.

Kind Regards,