cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Endless Refresh in PBI Desktop

I have the last update of PBI desktop and a few .pbix files with identic dataset with tables from Excel Workbooks (1 workbook - 1 table) and everything was fine. but on Friday I ran into a problem:

I added new data into .xlsx file. And now I need to refresh it in my Reports.

But when I click on Refresh dataset, the process successfully starts and cannot finish. One table has the status "Evaluating..." and all others have "Waiting for other queries...". Refresh takes less than a minute usually. But I've been waiting for about 4 hours hoping the refresh will finish, but nothing has changed in that time. There are no error messages displayed, just perpetual loading. 

comm screen 1.jpg

I tried adding an Excel Workbook table to Power Query, which had "Evaluating..." status displayed during the refresh, and the "Connection..." window also appeared with perpetual loading.

comm screen 2.jpg

So it looks like pbi can't connect to the data source and I don't understand what the problem is. I changed the data source itself from .xlsx to .csv in the data source settings and that helped in Report 1.

But I tried the same way to solve this problem in another Report (Report 2) with identical tables in dataset and in Power Query I can't make refresh at this time several other tables.

And the way to change data source from .xlsx to .csv does not work and gives the same problem - "Connection...", can't connect to the file. At the same time there are no error messages and the process goes on forever.

I tried it and it didn't help:

- download the .xlsx file again, replacing the existing one with it
- download the .xlsx as another file
- re-create the .xlsx file and import the data from the .csv into it

I have no idea how to solve this and didn't find any information about my question. 

I would be grateful if you could help me and provide the necessary information if questions arise.

Have you tried to create a new report in Power BI Desktop to connect to this excel file and refresh it to check whether it could be refreshed successfully.

In addition, consider whether the query about this file is too much complex or the data size is too large to refresh since it is always evaluating.

You can try to optimize your report in Power BI Desktop to check it, see: 

1. Data reduction techniques for Import modeling 
  2. Composite model guidance in Power BI Desktop 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Have you tried to create a new report in Power BI Desktop to connect to this excel file and refresh it to check whether it could be refreshed successfully.

In addition, consider whether the query about this file is too much complex or the data size is too large to refresh since it is always evaluating.

You can try to optimize your report in Power BI Desktop to check it, see: 

1. Data reduction techniques for Import modeling 
  2. Composite model guidance in Power BI Desktop 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li