Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Effect of switching Data source from Development to Production in Composite Models

Hi,

I am using Power BI desktop Version: 2.91.701.0 64-bit (March 2021) and have tried direct query to two remote datasets. For example, dataset A (workspace X) and dataset B (workspace Y). I have noticed that the relationship between the datasets disappear as soon as I switch the data source for dataset A from workspace X to workspace Z.

Please note that dataset A in the workspace X is identical to the dataset A in the workspace Z. The reason we have published it twice in two different workspaces is due to the deployment life cycle process (development to production). So the workspace X is our development workspace and the workspace Z is the production one. 

I tested the relationship between the dataset A and dataset B (both getting data from development workspace dataflows). I then tried to edit data source setting for dataset A to point to the production workspace. All the relationship settings that I had made between the datasets previously were gone.

Below is the relationship settings I had before changing the data source for dataset A marked by red colour.

sbatool_0-1616567692544.png

I then used the Data source setting window to pick the production dataset.

sbatool_1-1616567692497.png

After changing the data source, previous relationships missing as shown below.

sbatool_2-1616567692715.png

I would appreciate if this issue is fixed in the GA of the composite models.

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I have reported this issue internally, ICM: 233537835

will update here once I get any information.

Regards,

Lin

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

PG found the root cause. When we go to sync the schema after the data source change, the updated query doesn't have the original name.

Fix will be released in the June update of Power BI Desktop.

Regards,

Lin

pieterf
Frequent Visitor

@v-lili6-msft 

Hi Lin,

I have exactly the same problem. In response to your answer here I expected this issue to be resolved in the June update. Today I've tried this out; but actually I've got a new issue.

When I change the connection (from by example develop-source to production-source). The message I receive is "Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'There are ambiguous paths between... <fact-table> and <dimension-table>".

It seems that, by changing the connection, a new AAS-model is loaded. Actually, I expect here only a changed connection of the existing AAS-model.