Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Editing parameters failure

My dataset contains some parameters, and I can edit them successfully in Power BI service.

Unfortunately, another person, who does have edit rights to the dataset, is unable to edit the parameters.

He can type in a new value and even click the Apply button, but as soon as he refreshes the page, the parameter go back to the old value.

Is this by design? If yes, then editing parameters for non-owners should be disabled altogether because the current experience is misleading.

This is what I see when I'm not an owner:

image.png

As you can see, some settings are still editable.

OneDrive refresh, Q&A and Cortana, and Featured Q&A questions are actually editable, while Parameters only appear to be editable (they won't save).

Is it supposed to be this way?

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Daniil,

What kind of parameter you use in Power BI report? Do you use the parameter to change data source or filter data in Power BI? Would you please give a simple example so that I can test?

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

Daniil
Kudo Kingpin

@v-yuezhe-msft I am using parameters to filter data -- not sure what data sample I can provide for this, as it is a simple date filter.

Are the parameters not editable for you if you don't own the dataset?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Daniil,

I make a test on my side, the parameter is not editable even if I am the owner of a dataset, and I use the parameter to filter rows in a table.
1.PNG2.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Daniil
Kudo Kingpin

@v-yuezhe-msft Lydia, this is because the parameter is of type Any. In your case, it should be set to type Date.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Daniil,

I have consulted this issue internally, will post back once I get any feedback.

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Daniil,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 101575849. Will post back once I get any updates.

Regards,
Lydia

JasonRoy
Frequent Visitor

I have been having the same issue the past few days. My parameter is type "Text" and it allows me to change the value within Power BI Service, although the parameter change doesn't reflect in the dataset once updating the parameter (and refreshing the dataset). 

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Daniil ,

This issue has been fixed currently.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao