Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Dynamics 365 OData error with Power BI desktop

As of yesterday afternoon 02/14/2018 - I can no longer load any data from Dynamics 365.  I did nothing to my data source settings, they just stopped refreshing succesfully.  I am receiving the following error when pointing to this URL:
https://<REMOVEDORG>.api.crm.dynamics.com/api/data/v8.2

This is EXACTLY the same as it was on 02/13/2018 however when I try to get tables from this instance is:
odata.png

This is a Major blocking issue for a custome deployment I am working on.  Please advise.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @smoov01,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my side. Is there any update happen on Dynamics CRM side before 02/14/2018? Which kind of data source do you get data from, OData or Dynamics 365 online?  

Please try to update the Power BI desktop version to the latest one then test again. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

smoov01
Frequent Visitor

Qiuyun I am on the latest version of PBI desktop: Version: 2.55.5010.641 64-bit (February, 2018)

I am trying to connect to the Dynamics 365 Service, not an oData service.

These are the Dynamics 365 details:

Dynamics 365 V9.0 (July update) Version 1612 (9.0.1.127) (DB 9.0.0.2204) online

When connecting to PowerBI withD365, the new version of the API does not work, there are multiple references to this on this forum, I won’t go into detail, but this is one place you can view those details:

Dynamcis 365 API version issue

Because of the information in the above post, I have been connecting to the older API url (v8.2) successfully for months. I have successfully built dozens of reports from my v9 dynamics environments, but as of Feb 13th, the service would no longer resolve my entity tables. I made no changes, I just refreshed my data to start building a new report, and the oData error began.

It also worth mentioning that with this exact same set up, in an older version of Dynamics (8.2) the service connects fine, so while I was not made aware of any changes to the Dynamics API service it could very well be something has changed there. 

I have many confirmed reports of other PowerBI users that are experiencing this same issue. Please let me know if this helps – I am really in need of a resolution on this issue.

Thank you,

Mark

shaolin_3AG
Regular Visitor

I can confirm that I had the same set up as Mark, and had successfully been able to connect Power BI to D365 through API v8.2 since January 2018. However, my data stopped refreshing since February 8, 2018 with the same error message:

"OData: The feed's metadata document appears to be invalid"

Microsoft Dynamics 365: Version 1612 (9.0.1.422) (DB 9.0.1.422) online

Power BI: Version: 2.54.4970.961 64-bit (January 2018)

Regards,

Shaolin

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

@smoov01@shaolin_3AG I would suggest you create a support ticket to get dedicated support. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

smoov01
Frequent Visitor

So we opened a ticket and have just recieved notice that this issue is to be addressed in build 459 which is expected out on 2/27/18. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

This is a known issue which listed in Support page now. You can keep an eye on this: 

q2.PNG

@smoov01 Thanks for your information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

smoov01
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Qiuyun - I will await the new update. 

As an aside - and I didn't discover this, my VP figured it out - if you are not able to update your powerBI Desktop instance for whatever reason, there is a workaround.  The solution is to connec to the oData service via the XRMService like this:

https://<orgname>.api.crm.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/Organizationdata.svc and you are good to go.  Note the word data appended to the end of the url before the .svc this was the key.

Good luck all!

Mark

dharland
Advocate IV

You also have to change all the referenced table names because they are not named the same.