Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Duplicate Workspace Error using Power BI API

Sometimes when using the API to create workspaces I get the error

status code:400, statusMsg:Bad Request -
{"error":
{"code":"DuplicateGroupNameError","pbi.error":
{"code":"DuplicateGroupNameError","parameters":{},"details":[]}
}
} for workspaceName:WORKSPACENAME-123456

Yet on the service website, no workspaces are listed, and querying the API group list also returns an empty list.

Oddly, on the services website I can still create a workspace with the same name and delete it, but the error still persists when using the REST API.

Another note, not sure if related, but I also received this error before I started getting duplicate name errors (same route for creating workspaces):

status code:404, statusMsg:Not Found - 
{"error":
{"code":"ADGraphGroupOperationFailedResourceNotFound","pbi.error":
{"code":"ADGraphGroupOperationFailedResourceNotFound","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}
}
}

Comments
v-ljerr-msft
Employee

Hi @dgdragon,

According to your description above, I just verified that I can use the REST API to create a new workspace/group without any issue.

addgroup.PNG

I only get the DuplicateGroupNameError when I try recreating the same workspace/group. Have you tried create the workspace/group with a different name?

In addition, if the issue persists, I would suggest you create a support ticket on Power BI Support page for better assistance. Smiley Happy

Regards

dgdragon
Frequent Visitor

@v-ljerr-msft

Yes, it does normally work. This error seems to randomly occur after deleting a worskpace and renders a specific workspace name permanently unusable via the API. For now we are just doing a work around with UUIDs. Will submit a ticket later.