Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dropdown filter with RLS shows items for wrong roles

I have a couple of roles with RLS. I have a simple dropdown filter that works fine.

But when the report first loads the filter does have an extra option that does not belong to a chosen role. The extra option is selected, and when I select something else, it disappears from the filter list.

Also if the user / role is changed while the report is loaded, it reloads as usual but the filter dropdown keeps its last state. So it might have an item chosen that does not belong to the role. It disappears when something else is selected.

This happens both on Power BI Desktop and on Power BI Embedded report.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Would you please share a pbix and detail steps for us to reproduce the issue? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for your sharing. I have reported this issue internally: CRI 82130815. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I got information below: 

By Design. RLS causes a Table-level filter based on the role, it does not update any slicer visuals. It is an "invisible" filter applied to every query that is generated.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply! Really appreciated.

But the filter values come from a query, yes? And the filter list DOES update when the role is changed. Only if there is an item selected that is not in the role specific list it stays and shows even if it shouldn't.

I'd consider this a bug since it exposes values to the user (role) that don't belong to them.