Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Drill Through Function

Hi 
In my organisation we often have to create tables like that shown below (but with more complexity) with a total jobs open, then a breakdown of what's happening with those jobs driven by multiple indicators. Our report users then need to be able to drill through to see the job information and this is where we have problems.  All of these numbers are calculations that have filters within them. The filters held within a calculation don't pass through to the drill through which means we are always having to come up with different ways to get around the problem (don't worry my idea is coming). For example if we wanted to drill through to the 60 overdue jobs below we would create an accompanying card the is prefiltered with the overdue indicator but this means for each table you have to have a prefiltered card for each measure.

RegionTotal Open JobsJobs OverdueOpen Electrical Jobs
Hampshire1006030
Wiltshire301022
Dorset159 

My suggestion for you is to create a Drillthrough function which would essentially turn filters held within a calculation on or off so when you drill through these are now active.

Current Measure

Open Electrical Jobs =
CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Work Orders'),
'Work Order Fault'[Fault Trade] = "Electrical",
'Work Order Indicator'[Status] = "Open")

Proposed Measure including new function

Open Electrical Jobs =
CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Work Orders'),
Drillthrough(
'Work Order Fault'[Fault Trade] = "Electrical",
'Work Order Indicator'[Status] = "Open"))

This is a function I have used on similar reporting tools in Power BI and it really would be a game changer here. Power BI is fantastic for summarising data and I find it very easy to display the numbers I want to see but when it comes to proving the supporting data to our customers this is very difficult and has been by far our biggest challenge. Our data has many dates and within it and on the example above if I want to use a date that isn't the active relationship, I am able to see the correct number but if I drill through it reverts back to the active relationship. 

I hope this makes sense and I would be happy to talk more about it, I look forward to hearing your response

Many thanks

Dave

Hi @Pidg ,

Drillthrough function.

If you would like to suggest some feature improvements, you may also vote the idea and comment here  to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Pidg ,

Drillthrough function.

If you would like to suggest some feature improvements, you may also vote the idea and comment here  to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn