Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Downloading a powerBI report is disabled even for admin

Downloading a powerBI report is disabled even for administrator.

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  @sunilayyappa 

Usually, you need check these:

• The report must have been created by using Power BI Desktop and published to the Power BI service, or the .pbix file must have been uploaded to the Power BI service.
  • If your administrator has turned off the ability to download data, this feature won't be visible in the Power BI service.
  • This feature won't work with reports and content packs originally created in the Power BI service.

and also has other reasons, please have a look the document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-export-to-pbix#considerations-and-t...

Regards,

Lin

sunilayyappa
Employee

Hi @v-lili6-msft 

Thanks for the reply. The Report is created using Power BI Desktop and published to the Power Bi Service.

Problem is we are not able to download the .PBIX fileeven if it is published by me and I have admin permissions on the workspace.

Thanks,

Sunil

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  @sunilayyappa 

Download the .PBIX file is not just need admin permissions on the workspace, that means you have edit access for the reports in this workspace.

So it must be that your power bi admin has disable the download the pbix file in admin portal.

Export data

Users in the organization can export data from a tile or visualization. This setting controls Analyze in Excel, export to .csv, dataset downloads (.pbix), and Power BI Service Live Connect features. Learn more about exporting data from a tile or visual.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-portal#export-data

Regards,

Lin

Hamzah_
Regular Visitor

I'd actually appreciate if @v-lili6-msft would stop trying to discredit this posts claim, it is unhelpfulf. I am also facing this issue or something very similar, and have confirmed all your suggestions. I am an admin on a workspace and unable to download a report I built and uploaded to services. The dataset and report are seperate. I can download the dataset, but unable to download the report... Its very frustrating to run into this.