Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Display issues with multirow card with text values (category missing, incorrect order of fields)

I was trying to use the multi-row card to display several measures in my dashboard and it came to a point where I have to use it as a makeshift label. To my surprise, the multi-row card doesn't play nice with text values in measures.

This is the measure that I am trying to display in the multi-row card. Notice how the category label ("Revision (label)" seemingly disappear.

01.png

The [Reports Revised] measure is just a simple COUNTROWS measure, with a whole number format value. The category label displays properly in this case.

02.png

I then swapped it with a number-to-text converted [Error Rate] measure to test if it's working fine (I can use percentages just fine, but please note that I have to combine both measures in a format similar to the first screenshot). This time, the category label does not display properly.

03.png

Below is the multicard with several measures displayed. The first measure displayed is the text-value [Revision (label)] measure, the other is a number-value [Reports Reviewed] measure. Due note that in the Fields pane of the visual, the first item there is the [Reports Reviewed] measure and the [Revision (label)] is the last, but the [Revision (label)] measure shows up as the very first measure in the visual.

04.png

This behavior is very unusual and I would think that the visual should treat the values of whatever fields are fed into it uniformly, and that it should show them in the order that they were plugged into the visual.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @olimilo

Would you please use some dummy data to create a sample pbix file and share it with us? 

You can upload the pbix file to your OneDirve and paste the share link here. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun yu 

olimilo
Responsive Resident

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

Here you go: https://send.firefox.com/download/292b56013f/#2rsVVKpzy8SD_TAcJzkIyg

As you can see, even with a report built from scratch, the bug still persists. I'm using this build: 2.67.5404.581 64-bit

2019-03-18 17_00_43-test - Power BI Desktop.png

olimilo
Responsive Resident

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

Were you able to download the file from earlier? I reuploaded the PBIX on Send.

https://send.firefox.com/download/edbca5bde6/#UqLPfqoq6C0A2-lnfsoDdw

Thanks

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @olimilo

Thank you for you pbix file. Smiley Happy

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 111775373. Will keep you update once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @olimilo,

I got information below: 

"By Design. The MRC visual will group by the first Dimension field and repeat across the categories. It is by design to ignore the field name and promote it to the top as the primary grouping header. Any changes to this logic would break many customers and many existing visuals/reports, we cannot make the requested change."

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

JDro
Helper I

Late to the game here but for anyone else to comes across this there is a proper solution on the XXLBI Blog which worked for me:

Setting the text measure you want to display as a variant data type like so allows PowerBI to detect the measure as a number and thus your category will appear:

Some text = IF(TRUE, "a", 1)

felixnicol
Frequent Visitor

@JDro Today you are my hero!

Your fix is so much better than the official answer.