Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DirectQuery composite model DEC 2020 - app underlying dataset

Hi,

My structure is as follows:

• a.pbix = contains multiple power bi datasets (1.pbix, 2.pbix, 3.pbix.....n.pbix) from power bi service and visuals that show data from these multiple datasets
    • when i created a.pbix, it mentioned that since there are multiple datasets from the power bi service, that it would create a local data model and that it would change the storage mode to DirectQuery (as opposed to Live connected) for all imported datasets
  • 1.pbix, 2.pbix, 3.pbix.....n.pbix are all separate files that were published on the same workspace as a.pbix containing the data models for each subject area

When I publish, i get the following on the workspace:

• a (report)
  • a (dataset)
  • 1 (dataset)
  • 2 (dataset)
  • 3 (dataset)
  • n (dataset)
    • (i've deleted the 1 (report).... n (report) files so to keep the datasets only)

I then created and published an app that contains a (report), i've checked the options to allow users to have access to the underlying dataset (build permission)

then users told me they still don't see anything, and after further digging, i noticed that the users had build permission to a (dataset) but not all the 1...n (dataset)'s ....

i find myself to add permission to all the n (dataset) manually for each user....i don't have an AD group (yet) to give access to, but it's a bit tedious to add 50 users individually to all the n (dataset)'s....and then maintenance of this is very heavy when some one wants to be added or removed

Am i doing something wrong or is this a known bug?

Hope this is all clear

(i've waited over a day to see if the permissions will "propagate" but nothing)

Thanks

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, programatically setting permissions are not an option we have in our organization unfortunately

does this mean this is expected behaviour? that if an app was built, the users won't get access to the dataset underlying 2 levels down? are there plans to address this? 

If there are no plans, one would think there is no advantage to offer such a functionality if at the end users don't have access...so what's the point in designing a data architecture like this

Given that we can't use a programmatic approach, can you confirm if this will be addressed later in the roadmap or should we just not use the directquery for power bi datasets feature at all?

Thank you