Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DirectQuery Refresh Broken update january 2018

Hi,

Seems to me there's a bug in the new January update.
I have a report using DirectQuery, and when I refresh my model it keeps saying:
"Connecting to tables from more than one database isn't supported in DirectQuery mode.".
If I rollback my installation to PBI December, the refresh works, as I don't have multiple datasources in my model.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Comments
hoffmanrat
Frequent Visitor

Same/Similar issue with me since upgrading to January version. Using DirectQuery to SQL - refresh is fine but if I try adding a new table from the same source (which I have done hundreds of times before now) it gives error: "Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'All partitions using DirectQuery mode with Full DataView must query the same data source.'

This isnt the only stop work error that I'm receiving with the January release.

MartinSch
Frequent Visitor

similar, but with directquery filters since januari release. rollback fixes.

hope for a quick solution.

MartinSch
Frequent Visitor

Found a solution in an other issue that solved my directquery problems. maybe a solution for some problems here too.

There is a new Power BI desktop version 2.54.4970.961. Please update desktop and republish report from new desktop. 

found in: tdewittorion Frequent Visitor on: Slicers cannot be selected in Power BI Online

ronaerni

I had the same problem.  My .pbix was using parameters for the server and DB name in order to switch amoung three DBs.  This had been fine until I installed the January updates (both of them).  All my queries were using the same parameters so the same DBs.

When I changed the data source to a specific server and DB name, the problems went away.  Hope this helps others.

UOLandrewdale
Advocate II

I was on version 2.54.4970.761 and could not edit my queries that were using direct query; got the error  "Connecting to tables from more than one database isn't supported in DirectQuery mode.".

Just updated to version 2.54.4970.961 and it now works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Waiting ot hear if this being corrected soon.  I am trying to get a current set up to add a new Query and am getting the sam error as others:

Connecting to tables from more than one database isn't supported in DirectQuery mode.

Have several queries in the file and works fine.  I am looking for a definietive response this is being worked on by Microsoft.  I am not seeing any acknowldegement of this.   My current version is:

Version: 2.56.5023.1021 64-bit (March 2018)

I am not able to roll back to previous in Nov 2017 as I need the Slicer Sync that is in the newest version.  Please advise.  Thank you

UPDATE on 5/23/18.  I am still waiting to hear anything about this.  Nothing posted / listed in regards to getting this corrected.  I know I saw issues with the servers, no regards to this, but with the May 2018 Update out I am worried or wondering if this has been corrected before I update my software version.

quintoncoish
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue.  My workaround was to:

1. delete the new table (from the same source as the rest) I was trying to add
  2. duplicate a table in the query view
  3. go to the advanced editor and change the code to point to the new table you want to add
  4. apply changes

karaoan
Kudo Commander

This still doesn't seem to be fixed. I am using the same direct query source set in a parameter that all queries are using and also getting the (incorrect) message that:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Relationship '1fd2cc1f-6b94-479d-899f-e868d8320d64' between columns 'OLAP CUBE_Finance_Monthly_WB[Account]' and 'Account[ID]' cannot be created because they are not from the same DirectQuery data source.

Martin

Planning & Writeback in Power BI -> Acterys

karaoan
Kudo Commander

Dale @v-jiascu-msft this issue is still there at 31/8/2018 and not a little nuisance but a showstopper for everyone that is using templates based on a DQ data source where the database name is provided through a parameter.