Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Desktop will not open if there is no internet connectivity

If there is no internet connectivity and you try to open desktop, it will not open and throw an error. In the windows log it reads it as an application hang (see below). I have to force close/kill the application in application manager. If I re-enable connectivity and launch desktop, it opens without issue. This is repeatable. The desktop version I'm running was installed from Windows Store. Removing and reinstalling desktop does not fix the issue.

The program PBIDesktop.exe version 2.55.5010.641 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 8ac0
 Start Time: 01d3b6159519fee7
 Termination Time: 4294967295
 Application Path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop_2.55.5013.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\bin\PBIDesktop.exe
 Report Id: 05e05e04-357b-4613-bef0-c2a5d59913e0
 Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop_2.55.5013.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
 Faulting package-relative application ID: Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @sqlchicken,

Based on my test with the latest Windows Store desktop version  2.56.5023.861 64-bit (March 2018), we can start Power BI desktop without Internet connected. 

Please update this version then test again. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

sqlchicken
Employee

Qiuyu, I can confirm that latest update did address issue. Thanks!