Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Deployment pipelines - unable to use local excel file as data source

Issue: When you use a local excel file in building a report in power bi desktop, moving it into the "Test" pipeline workspace strips the data and there isn't a way to update it.

To reproduce:

1. create a new report in pbi desktop
  2. get data --> excel --> pick a local file
  3. create a table from the data
  4. publish into "Development" pipeline, verify report - data is there
  5. deploy report/dataset into "Test", open report - data is empty with no way to refresh
Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@timhamaguchi 

This dataset requires a properly configured gateway in order to refresh. By the way, take a look at deploying content to an empty stage.

timhamaguchi
Frequent Visitor

@v-chuncz-msft - my gateway is up and functional, however I'm not sure if that applies for local excel file sources. How would the gateway reach this file that originated on a local pc?

Thanks for the reply,

tim

irakhman
Regular Visitor

Looking for the answer to this riddle.  HELP??

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also looking to answer this same problem. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with the pipeline?

timhamaguchi
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous  - I was never able to find resolution to this issue - I've given up on deployment pipelines for now.

RichFlorida
Helper IV

I'm having same issue.

Any resolution?

timhamaguchi
Frequent Visitor

@RichFlorida - i gave up on pipelines - never found a solution.

RichFlorida
Helper IV

@timhamaguchi 

I hear you! I’m heading down same path...
I'm finding out they could be more of a headache and a burden.

p0955274
Advocate I

The pipeline is an empty promise, our report are built with csv/excel sources from Pbi desktop,  so no way to actualize the data once it's in the Test phase. Why isn't there an option to copy the data as well. I went to all the trouble to ask premium spaces, set the the pipeline for nothing, just a waste of time.