Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Decimal part removed when properties set to SUM

Hi,

We have a column with the format as decimal.

When we add this to table and set properties as sum, the decimal part is removed from the values. (not round off, direct whole number)

PFA a screenshot where the column has been added twice. When it is not summarised, we can see the decimal part, when summarised, we see zeroes

Sum Issue.png

Please let us know if someone has a resolution, how to keep the actual decimal part.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@rashimittal90

What is your data source here? I just tested with Import and Direct Query mode but cannot repro the same issue on my side. My Power BI Desktop version is 2.47.4766.801 32-bit (June 2017).

Decimal part removed when properties set to SUM_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

rashimittal90
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-haibl-msft@Vicky_Song,

Data source that we are using is Amazon-Redshift

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@rashimittal90

Is Recurring Subscription Revenue just a column? Is there any format applied on it? Could you please collect the fiddler traces while adding this column and set to SUM, also refresh the tables in Power BI Desktop? Then share the .saz file through online file service like OneDrive.

Please also make sure that you are using the latest June 2017 version of Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,
Herbert

rashimittal90
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-haibl-msft,

Yes, Recurring Subscription Revenue is a column directly being picked up from the source table.

PowerBI by default has picked up its format as decimal with 2 decimal places, the issue only happens when trying to use sum function.

We are using the latest power BI version. I'm trying to work with fiddler and will send you the same once I'm able to capture traces.

tommy_tooten
Regular Visitor

It seems I have the same issue as mentioned by rashimittal90: I am using the latest october 2017 (64 bit, but tried it with the 32 bit version as well) release and when I use Direct Query with Redshift, the decimal part is removed when using the SUM function. This is solved when importing the data. My amounts are numeric(19,4) on redshift.

Is there any solution for this? Or any indication when this is solved? In case more information is desired or required, I am more than welcome to share this with Microsoft.

Kind regards,

Tommy

rashimittal90
Regular Visitor

Hi @tommy_tooten,

The powerBI team did not help us with a fix. But as I had to deliver the report to users, we did find a workaround.

after you import the data, create a new column as a multiple of 100 (say your column name is ''a'', create a*100, say ''b''). Then at report level, create a new calculated field c=b/100 and use this ''c''. This then shows the decimal part as well.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Rashi

tommy_tooten
Regular Visitor

Hi @rashimittal90,

thanks for the workaround, I am going to think in which way we would like to work around with it. As it only is a demo for now, I am importing the data.

The strange thing is that at the start, it starts with the correct values, but after changing the visual from table to matrix, or adding another visual, the decimal part gets removed. @v-haibl-msft, could the Power BI please take a look at it?

Kind regards,

Tommy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone got a solution?

Anonymous
Not applicable

we are having the same issue as this.

Come on Microsoft, this has to be a bug you need to fix.