Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Date format issues when exporting data from power bi tenant to excel

1: I open an app in the power bI tenant,

2: I then Click on å table visual, on the the 3 dots in the top-right corner and choose export data

3: I Choose Date with current layout

4: I open the file in excel. 

Issue:

The date format changes from dd.mm.yyyy to m.d.yyyy in excel (the cells in excel is formatted automatically as custom)

It shows correctly in power bi tenant, I changed the language in settings in power bi tenant to norwegian.

The regional format on my computer is norwegian with format (dd.mm.yyyy)

In excel I run english as display language, but nNorwegian as authoring and proofing language

I want to avoid formatting the date as text in power bi.

Any suggestions?

Best regards Terje Fjeldstad

Issue is resolved by using the 14.03.2001 (dd.mm.yyyy) format in pleace of the *14.03.2001 (Short Date) format.

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Anonymous ,

May I know what’s the format of your date column in the original report?  Where did you export data from? From dashboard or report?

How you export? Export data with current layout? Summarized data? Or Underlying data?

Are you using Excel 2016?

Based on my test, if you export with current layout from report and open the xlsx file with Excel 2016. Dates in Excel will display as they are in Power BI service(app.powerbi.com).

vcazhengmsft_0-1648625625250.png

vcazhengmsft_1-1648625625251.png

For exporting data, there are some considerations and limitations as well. Please check with the official document to see whether there is an item impacting your exported data format. Links of official document: Export data from a Power BI visualization - Power BI | Microsoft Docs and Export to Excel Improvements for Table and Matrix Visuals (Preview) | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI.

vcazhengmsft_2-1648625625252.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This problem was resolved.  the workaround was to NOT use the *14.03.2001 (Short Date) format. I had to use the 14.03.2001 (dd.mm.yyyy) format.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Got it. Thanks for your reply!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Issue is resolved by using the 14.03.2001 (dd.mm.yyyy) format in pleace of the *14.03.2001 (Short Date) format.