cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date field format changes when connecting to PowerBI dataset

It appears that date field formats defined upstream for a PowerBI Dataset are automatically changed in a downstream pbix that connects to the same PowerBI dataset using "live connection" and cannot be changed in the downstream file.

In my experience the date format set to d mmmm yyyy in the upstream file was changed to date General date, which abbreviates the month and adds a timestamp.

Additional details are available in my original post:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Date-Field-Formatting-changes-after-publishing-it-to-PBI-Se...

Deliver the reason caused this issue and provide workaround.

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @

Thanks for your feedback! I’ve tested at my side and its date time format does display as General Date.

vcazhengmsft_0-1638427818952.png

But when I visualize it, it still displays in d mmmm yyyy format as same as upstream report. 

vcazhengmsft_1-1638427818960.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

vitorborges

Thanks for checking @v-cazheng-msft .

Could you please check what date format features in the CSV export?

In my experience it exported as General Date, which is how I picked up this issue in the first place.

Cheers.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @vitorborges 

Thanks for your reply. I understand. Currently, we can only export underlying data in Power BI Desktop. Even exporting the original report to csv in Power BI Desktop, date exported is in general date format. 

vcazhengmsft_2-1638430475315.png

If you would like to export date in d mmmm yyyy format that you set, you need export from Power BI service with Data with current layout or Summarized data.

vcazhengmsft_0-1638430235031.png

Then, you will get exported date in d mmmm yyyy format.

vcazhengmsft_1-1638430339968.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Deliver the reason caused this issue and provide workaround.