Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Date field format changes when connecting to PowerBI dataset

It appears that date field formats defined upstream for a PowerBI Dataset are automatically changed in a downstream pbix that connects to the same PowerBI dataset using "live connection" and cannot be changed in the downstream file.

In my experience the date format set to d mmmm yyyy in the upstream file was changed to date General date, which abbreviates the month and adds a timestamp.

Additional details are available in my original post:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Date-Field-Formatting-changes-after-publishing-it-to-PBI-Se...

Deliver the reason caused this issue and provide workaround.

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @

Thanks for your feedback! I’ve tested at my side and its date time format does display as General Date.

vcazhengmsft_0-1638427818952.png

But when I visualize it, it still displays in d mmmm yyyy format as same as upstream report. 

vcazhengmsft_1-1638427818960.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

vitorborges

Thanks for checking @v-cazheng-msft .

Could you please check what date format features in the CSV export?

In my experience it exported as General Date, which is how I picked up this issue in the first place.

Cheers.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @vitorborges 

Thanks for your reply. I understand. Currently, we can only export underlying data in Power BI Desktop. Even exporting the original report to csv in Power BI Desktop, date exported is in general date format. 

vcazhengmsft_2-1638430475315.png

If you would like to export date in d mmmm yyyy format that you set, you need export from Power BI service with Data with current layout or Summarized data.

vcazhengmsft_0-1638430235031.png

Then, you will get exported date in d mmmm yyyy format.

vcazhengmsft_1-1638430339968.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Deliver the reason caused this issue and provide workaround.

arpost
Advocate V

@v-cazheng-msft This issue has NOT been resolved and is still occurring. Formatting applied to dates in PBI Datasets published to service do NOT trickle down to reports.

arpost_0-1652374438359.png