Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Date Locale formatting in table doesn't work reliably

Version:

Version 2.59.5135.421 64-bit (June, 2018)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Set the date format of a column to *3/14/2001 (M/d/yyyy).
  2. Put this date into a table.
  3. Save the .pbix file and exit Power BI desktop.
  4. Change the locale and restart Power BI desktop.  At this point, the date format in the table changed.
  5. Exit Power BI and change the locale again.
  6. Restart Power BI Desktop

Results:

• The date format no longer changes to the current local.  Repeating steps 5 and 6 have no effect.

Expected Results:

• Every time I change locale and restart Power BI, the format of the dates should change.
Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@gaccardo,

Where do you change the locale? Power BI Desktop inherits the date format of operating system.

I test the following steps and date format changes as expected in Power BI Desktop.

1. Change format and location from English (Unites States) to France, then re-open PBIX file.
2.PNG

1.PNG

2. Close PBIX files, change Format and location from France to English(United States). Date format change to English(United States) format when I re-open PBIX file.
3.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

gaccardo
Advocate II

Thank you for taking the time to repeat and reply.  I appreciate it.

• Like you, I see the correct format in the Data view of Power BI.  The only difference is that
    I use English (United States) and English (United Kingdom).
  • I also see it work most of the time when I initially change the format of a column.
  • The problem occurs when I put the data into a table in a report.
  • The problem occurs when I repeat the steps of changing locale and restarting Power BI
    multiple times.  The only way I've found to fix it is to change the format of the column.
  • Tooltips that use the column do not respect the format at all--they always use American
    formatting.
  • There are also differences between computed columns and data I loaded with a query,
    but I'm still working out the specifics of this.

bug1.png

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Investigating