Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Dataverse Preview.Error: The type of the current preview value is too complex to display.

This error "Preview.Error: The type of the current preview value is too complex to display." in the query editor is crippling use of Power bi with dataverse/dynamics 365 and the issue has been unresolved.

All of the suggestions posted for fixes absolutely do not work and no one has properly identified a cause.

Can Microsoft PLEASE do something!

Hi @JK800 

What operation are you doing that reports such an error ? Have you tested with the latest version of Desktop ?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @JK800 

What operation are you doing that reports such an error ? Have you tested with the latest version of Desktop ?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

JK800
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft 

This is version 2.112.603.0 64-bit (December 2022). The issue occurs just after selecting tables to import in the the source selection step, when importing dataverse (D365) tables. Essentially the data is imported but can't be transformed at all because it cannot be viewed.  When using dataflows online, the issue doesn't arise.

Thanks

John

tomr6620

@v-yetao1-msft @JK800 I'm having the exact same issue in the Navigation applied step when importing a table using the Dynamics 365 connector.

= Source{[Schema="dbo",Item="knowledgearticle"]}[Data]

I'm getting the same error:

Preview.Error: The type of the current preview value is too complex to display.
Details:

and I'm using Version: 2.116.966.0 64-bit (April 2023) of PowerBI

It's frustrating as I can't build a data pipeline now.

kmeiring
Regular Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft @JK800 @tomr6620 same issue. Extremely frustrating! I had the issue on December version, then updated to April and then to May version. Same issue on all three. started about a month ago for me...

celiam
Regular Visitor

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
In my case I had already created the tables and suddenly I started to have this error when I try to add new columns.

celiam_0-1687365091705.png

UrszulaPukalska
Frequent Visitor

Same here. 

It worked in April 2023 (beginning) but now it's not. I have even tried with PBI Desktop from Feb 2023 and the same issue.

I checked what happens if I try to create dataflow with this table, and in web works (still there is a warning message but data load fine).

Any ideas what might have happen? Is it Dataverse issue?

Gamsbock
Regular Visitor

I found a workaround in another post (unfortunately nat a solution for erveryone). You have to add the property [CreateNavigationProperties=false] in M Query. Here is an example. Source = CommonDataService.Database("msdefault.crm.dynamics.com", [CreateNavigationProperties=false])

Re: Preview.Error: The type of the current preview... - Microsoft Fabric Community

UrszulaPukalska
Frequent Visitor

For me it's not a solution, it's a workaround because I use those related data (I'm extending table with data from othr tables, and I can't change it because I has inherited the report and I have no space to re-write it)

celiam
Regular Visitor

Yes, not a solution as you can not use the related tables columns.