Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dataset refresh failure

Dataset refresh failing most of the time but scheduled and manually working some time. I am also not getting email for failure.

Unable to connect to the data source undefined.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Cluster URIWABI-WEST-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID199dcd30-f68f-4296-95aa-cac8c3a15594
Request ID102b8c3b-6db6-9d8a-a278-725bcc9ad543
Time2019-02-06 12:25:06Z
Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@ahsiddiqui,

I use internal tool to  track the above error and find this detailed error message:"Microsoft SQL: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The wait operation timed out)".

Do you use SQL Server data source? If so, do you schedule refresh for different datasets which cause gateway overloaded? Do you configure SSL encryption in SQL Server? 

In addition, please go to C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway\Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.dll.config, increase test connection timeout value (e.g, 00:02:50) and check if the issue still persists. Please note that after changing the timeout value, gateway service is required to restart.

<setting name="MashupDSRTestConnectionTimeout" serializeAs="String">

<value>00:00:50</value>

</setting>

If the above error still occurs, please collect netmon traces from gateway server and SQL Server.

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

ahsiddiqui
Frequent Visitor

Do you use SQL Server data source? Yes

If so, do you schedule refresh for different datasets which cause gateway overloaded?

My Report dataset has 2 source one is SQL and second one is oData. i schedule both datasource on same time beacuse report is depend on both data source.

Do you configure SSL encryption in SQL Server? No

Let me know if you need any other information. As you recommend i increased the test connection timeout. and restart the service  ut Still the same issue.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@ahsiddiqui ,

Could you please collect netmon traces from gateway server and SQL Server?

Regards,
Lydia

ahsiddiqui
Frequent Visitor

still the same issue some time working but most of the time failed

GatewayPipelineErrorCode=DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError
Reason= --->
[1]Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Diagnostics.GatewayPipelineWrapperException: Substituted: MashupValueException:<pi>Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupValueException (0x80004005): Microsoft SQL: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The wait operation timed out.)
at Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ProviderCommon.MashupResource.<>c__DisplayClass4`1.<StartEvaluationAndGetResultSource>b__2()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Security.Impersonation.RunAsProcessUser[T](Func`1 func)
at Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupCommand.EvaluateAndGetSource[T](String commandText, CommandType commandType, Int32 commandTimeout, MashupParameterCollection parameters, String resultTransform, Boolean forColumnInfo, Boolean executeAction)
at Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior commandBehavior, MashupCommandBehavior mashupCommandBehavior)
at Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupCommand.ExecuteReader()
at Microsoft.Data.Mashup.DataSourceReference.TestConnection(String connectionString)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.MashupCommon.MashupUtils.DSRTestConnectionAsync(String dsrJson, MashupCredential credential)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayDataAccess.MashupOleDbConnectionProvider.<PrepareMashupCredentialEncryptedConnectionState>d__5.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayDataAccess.MashupOleDbConnectionProvider.<OpenConnectionAsync>d__2.MoveNext()</pi>

PowerPIRefreshHistory.png

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@ahsiddiqui ,

Please open a ticket in Power BI support site.
Support Ticket.gif

Regards,
Lydia