Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Dataset refresh error re: token comma expected

Up until today I've had no issues in refreshing my datasets on the Power BI Service.  I'm now getting this error:

Data source error: COM error: Microsoft.Data.Mashup, Token Comma expected. Start position: (494, 5). End position (494, 20)..
Cluster URI: WABI-CANADA-CENTRAL-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: d4c6b6dd-dbe4-4d24-a31a-f5b6c5e1e1a3
Request ID: f19fc58e-9ea2-d52a-b4d6-8505cc311a7e
Time: 2022-01-20 22:56:21Z

My dataset was created just fine using Power BI Desktop, and it had previously been able to refresh without issue in my Power BI Service workspace.

I've seen a few other posts about "token comma expected" errors, but none of them related to dataset refreshing.

Hi @sswitzer 

Thanks for your reply! I got it. Since it works properly now, I’ll change the status of this issue to Delivered. Please observe the refresh of it in the future days, if it refreshed failure for the same reason again, try the steps above again. And if you would like to see the root cause of it, please consider contacting support ticket by Power BI Support with the error information you get from Power BI Service including request id, activity id and timestamp. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @sswitzer 

Could you please try to download the report from Power BI service to your machine and refresh it in Power BI Desktop to see whether you will get same issue there? If it couldn’t be refreshed successfully, please go to Advanced Editor in Power Query to see whether there is a closing bracket missing.

Best Regards,

sswitzer

@v-cazheng-msft That sounds like a good plan; I'll try it out and let you know. Thanks for the quick reply, it's much appreciated.

sswitzer

@v-cazheng-msft Downloading and doing a refresh showed some nebullous errors about the formulas with nothing specific noted. I looked through my many, complex queries through the advanced editor and none of them had syntax errors.

I just went back to a previous version of my pbix file, re-uploaded, refreshed, all OK. I then step by step re-added in my recent query / relationship changes, re-uploading/refreshing along the way to make sure there were no errors.  So at this point my dataset is working well with no errors in refreshing.

I guess this issue is resolved, although I never was able to see any bracket matching errors in my queries.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @sswitzer 

Thanks for your reply! I got it. Since it works properly now, I’ll change the status of this issue to Delivered. Please observe the refresh of it in the future days, if it refreshed failure for the same reason again, try the steps above again. And if you would like to see the root cause of it, please consider contacting support ticket by Power BI Support with the error information you get from Power BI Service including request id, activity id and timestamp. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,