Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dataset Refresh stops after Preparing to Refresh pop-up

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident or if anyone else is experiencing similar issues with Power BI Service. Whenever I attempt to manually refresh my dataset, I receive the expected 'Preparing to Refresh' dialogue in the top right corner of my window. Then after that, it just stops without ever completing the refresh attempt. I don't get a failure message or an invalid credentials message like I was receiving when issues last arose earlier this month. Any insight would be appreciated!

doesnt_refresh_bi.png

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

I tried with following steps but cannot repro the same issue as you. Is there any difference between our scenario?

1. In Nov 2016 version of PBI Desktop, get data from Web, input the path of an excel file in OneDrive Business.
  2. Save and publish the report to PBI Service.
  3. Check the report can be shown in Reports.
  4. Make some changes to the excel file in OneDrive Business.
  5. Select the dataset under Datasets in PBI Service, click “Refresh Now” option in the three dots menu.
  6. The “Preparing for refresh” dialog will appear in the top right corner and disappear soon.
  7. Select the report under Reports in PBI Service, the updated data can be seen now. The refresh status can be seen in Refresh history.

Dataset Refresh stops after Preparing to Refresh pop-up_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Herbert,

I was able to address this issue by scheduling regular refreshes daily in the dataset configuration menu. I'm not sure why it doesn't let me refresh the data by selecting 'Refresh Now' when a scheduled refresh does the trick. It's pretty weird. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,

Josh

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

It is a good news that you can address this issue by scheduling regular refreshes daily.

But I think we still need to look into the root cause of failure of refresh now function. You can create a support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page) since it may be account specific.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-haibl-msft

Herbert,

Thanks. I'll go ahead and submit a ticket. It would be nice to be able to refresh now just to verify the integrity of my data source on the spot when major changes/updates are made.

Thanks,

Josh

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-haibl-msft Herbert,

This issue is happening with me at this time. Same scenario, same steps to reproduce. Can you please provide an update on the status of the support ticket?

Many thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Paging @v-qiuyu-msft as Herbert is not active since 2018.

Qiuyun, can you please redirect this to someone on the same team who is able to help?

Many thanks!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Please create a new thread in this forum, we will investigate the issue and reply in your thread. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Fric368829
Advocate II

Same issue over here. I tried manual refresh. It did not work. Then I tried the solution of @Anonymous  and that worked: scheduling regular refreshes daily in the dataset configuration menu. and then the manual refresh is visible and working.

(My best guess is that it is related to refresh of the window, as sometimes when you do a windows refresh the waiting circle is showed. It is weird though.)