Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dataset Refresh Error - "Internal Service Error"

Manual and automated refreshes of a single dataset in my workspace always fail with "Internal Service Error"  I've tested uploaded the report under a different name and refreshing, which does not encounter any issue.  The data are 3 Excel workbooks stored on OneDrive, so no gateway used for refresh.

Given the seniority of the report audience, I would like to avoid republishing, manually sharing to user list, and communicating changes to end user.  Is there an option to replace the dataset, while maintaining the report direct URL?

Capture.PNG

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @bmavity,

What do you mean about "I've tested uploaded the report under a different name and refreshing, which does not encounter any issue"?

From internal trace, I found the error "This error often happens after the Entity was renamed or deleted. Please update the query/visual to use the new name or undo the name change. - Source: 'User'". Did you edit Excel structure or do another change for Excel files recently? After you download the issued report and open in Power BI desktop, are you able to refresh it successfully? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

bmavity
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply.

What I meant was that I republished the report under a different name within the same workspace.  So, everything was identical apart from the name. (ex.  "Original Report" vs "New Report").

There was a minor change in one file, with some columns removed and the tab name changing.  I re-added the source with a new query and deleted the old query, but I still have the same issue.

The refresh in desktop runs without issue.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @bmavity,

I would suggest you create a support ticket

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered