Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dataflows with duration column won't save

I've spent the better part of an hour trying to figure out why a dataflow will not save in Power BI and generates an internal error on error attempt to save it and found that it's solely because I had a field that is a duration column. It makes no sense because the display renders it properly as a duration field with no warnings; however, when you attempt to save the dataflow it simply errors and states:

Something went wrong
Could not perform this operation due to an internal error
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID: xxx
Request ID: xxx
Correlation ID: xxx
Status code: 500
Time: xxx
Version: xxx
Cluster URI: xxx

I see the same issue reported here and MSFT verified it was saving the dataflow with a duration column which is a bug. This should be fixed as part of the service. Not on a case by case basis.:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Can-t-save-Dataflow-due-to-internal-error/idi-p/793318

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @cvillegas

The dataflow doesn't support Duration data type currently. You can see the limitation here

"A dataflow must output one of the following types: Date/Time, Decimal Number, Text, Whole number, Date/Time/Zone, True/False, Date, Time"

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

ImkeF
Super User

Thank you @v-qiuyu-msft ,

but  I cannot find that sentence on the page of the link you've provided.
Could you please check the link?
Thanks!