Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dataflows needs Authentication Level selection

I'm trying to build a Dataflow to extract data from over 400 SharePoint sites. Each site has multiple lists with identical structure. I was able to build the sites list dynamically, using SharePoint Search API.
From there, there are multiple options for accessing the data, by creating custom columns that could make API calls with OData.Feed() or Json.Document(Web.Contents()), or even using the SharePoint.Tables() method.
The problem is that this trivial step, that would have no problem working on PBI Desktop, is generating ONE AUTHENTICATION PROMPT PER SITE (Mind you, they're all subsites from the same root site).
In PBI Desktop, the authentication prompt would ask me to "Select which level to apply these settings to", at which point I'd select my org's main SharePoint site, and be done with it. Dialog on PBI DesktopDialog on PBI Desktop

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous 

You may share feedback via Ideas and create a support ticket for assistance if necessary.

sebastien_druon
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I am encoutering the same issue.

Is there any kown workaround?

@Anonymousdid you find a solution?

Without the possibility to change the authentication level to the site or API URL level, rest APIs are basically not usable in the dataflows (you would need to authenticate for every single call which does not make sense).

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sebastien_druon I did not find any workaround with Power BI or dataflows. When I posted this my previous solution with Azure Logic Apps and Azure SQL stopped working because of changes to the SharePoint API. As this route was sort of hopeless, I worked on getting the Logic Apps back up and running.