Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dataflows fail to refresh - "pending validation" prevents to save dataflows

Power BI Dataflows have been systematically failing in the last 24 hours "because there was a problem with one or more entities, or because dataflow capabilities were unavailable". No matter if the dataflow queries our on-premises server or or a simple Excel file on SharePoint, it just fails. They have been running for a few months with no problem, beside isolated and temporary failures to refresh.

It seems that all dataflows are “pending validation”. When I open an entity and attempt to save it, it can’t save the entity/dataflow after the validation step fails. Herebelow is the error message that does not tell me much about the issue.

We have got a few organisational reports connected to these dataflows and users need daily refreshes. What can I do about it?

Activity ID: 95c94573-6caf-4ca8-852e-912384d12652

Request ID: 4bb0a5ae-8bb6-743c-de1d-96bba591a9c1

Correlation ID: c3ea76e7-0627-ab78-5866-29ab707d7fa0

Status code: 500

Time: Thu Aug 26 2021 07:52:52 GMT+0200 (Central European Summer Time)

Service version: 13.0.16650.58

Client version: 2108.3.07325-train

Cluster URI: https://wabi-north-europe-d-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

Comments
smpa01
Super User

I am seeing "Pending Validation" on all my tables and SQL queries that run in SSMS in 2 min is running for more than 10 min dataflow and getting timed out.

pedromota
Regular Visitor

@fffdk I think I was able to solve it. I upgraded my Workspace and now the Dataflows are updating! At least some did, not all have finished processing yet but before it was not even processing at all.

sfbind2
Frequent Visitor

@fffdk @pedromota Just tested the theory about upgrading the workspace and that did the trick! I can't believe Microsoft didn't let it's users know that dataflows would essentially stop working unless they upgraded...ridiculous. 

my76
Frequent Visitor

@pedromota , @sfbind2  I have started to have the same issue and want to try the 'Upgrade' fix you talk about. Can you share details of what you have Upgraded from and to please?

Thanks

pedromota
Regular Visitor

Hello @my76 , your should be able to see this in the upper part of your browser when you are in the homescreen of your workspace. Before, all workspaces were actually a Sharepoint site/group email, this new type of workspace is no longer created like that and has a few other tweeks .

pedromota_0-1630425800044.png

sfbind2
Frequent Visitor

@my76 it can also be found by clicking "Edit Workspace" -> Advanced -> Upgrade

sfbind2_0-1630426989975.png

MTracy
Advocate I

I'm having this "Pending Validation" error on several Dataflows too, across different workspaces.  There is no option to upgrade our workspaces - even in the 'Edit workspace' fields.  (Premium)

MTracy_0-1630427303283.png

I'd sure like to get this fixed and get our data refreshing again.

sfbind2
Frequent Visitor

@MTracy unfortunately it looks like yours is already on the updated workspace (based on the picture) so you may have a different issue.

my76
Frequent Visitor

I believe we are already on Premium. The diamond shows against the workspace.

my76_0-1630427620163.png

sfbind2
Frequent Visitor

@my76 just to carify, this isn't about Premium vs not Premium. Our workspace was always Premium, we just hadn't upgraded to the new workspace exerience.